Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The New Year is Here

Wow, we're in 2007 already. And now begins that confusing period when we say "last year" while talking about 2005 and not 2006, and when we have to adjust to not saying that I want to do this or that "next year," realizing it's "this year."

Alice recently wrote about our perception of time and this feeling that as we get older, time seems to be passing much faster than it did before. I think that this is generally true and, as she wrote, it probably happens because we have much more free time in our hands when we are children (or at least used to have) and are eager to grow up, so time seems to go by very slowly. While I can't argue that the years seem to be flying by, particularly with my boys growing up so fast, staying at home with them full time does seem to make time "slow down" a bit, similarly to those long vacations during our childhood. Of course I'm very busy and there are tons of things to do in the house, but not having external deadlines or routines to guide our lives (the boys don't go to school yet) does make the days seem very very long... I enjoyed spending a few days without the boys at the MLA, that way I got to feel like I was working, at least temporarily. I think I would enjoy to go back to work. It would do me good and the boys would enjoy going to school and daycare since I have a hard time providing a structured environment for them at home.

I'm kind of avoiding the topic, but I came here to say that I don't like New Year resolutions. I wrote a post at the end of January last year titled "Happy New Fear" and looking back, I did quite a bit of progress in 2006 and I'm comparatively happy with where I stand right now. Of course I didn't defend the dissertation yet, but it's almost fully completed. I do feel a bit worried that I still need to finish writing, editing it, and then I have to defend it, but I'm confident that this will happen. I no longer feel that overwhelming weight on my shoulders, I know I have done most of the work -- what a relief!

As for the other things that I wrote here last January, the desire to settle down in a less "temporary" location; having jobs (either me, my husband or both); making good friends, etc, these still need to happen. So, in 2007 I'm looking forward to:

- Finishing and defending the dissertation, getting my Ph.D. and, hopefully, participating of the commencement.

- Husband finding a job at a good location.

- Selling this house and buying a bigger one wherever we're going.

- Presenting at two academic conferences, my favorite, the Children's Lit Association, and an international conference that will take place in Brazil -- in Rio de Janeiro, where I haven't been in over 10 years!

- Spending at least a month in Brazil in July and going to this place called Caldas Novas, which has hot springs, and many hotels, resorts, etc, which are quite cheap.

- Going to Brazil again for Christmas and my husband's cousin's wedding in the beginning of January. I don't know if that will be possible, but I'd really love to go.

I'm sure this will be a great year, which hopefully will bring great changes to our lives. Change is good. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Juliet said...

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions, either. Most people break them, and then decide to slack off on it until the following year, which is very annoying. I just think that ANY day is a good day to decide to improve yourself.

2007 seems full of wonderful happenings and possiblities for you. Happy New Year! ^_^

Anonymous said...

Rio de Janeiro Around the Year - Every day a new photo from Rio de Janeiro, the Marvellous City
http://riodejaneiroaroundtheyear.blogspot.com/

Susan Bell said...

Very nice and impressive article you have posted. Its very helpful, i have read and bookmark this site and will recommend it to more other peoples.
dissertations | dissertation | writing a dissertation