Monday, January 15, 2007

Compulsive Categorizer

I feel a bit guilty about this, but I just spent the whole day "working" on this blog. I finally updated the template and my blogroll, which had several non-working URLs as well as links to blogs which had moved elsewhere. I kept the "obsessive categorization" -- which, by the way, is not alphabetized (only the blogs within each category are). Now I have the labels in the side bar as well -- every single post (I have less than 300) is labeled and now all of my 30 or so readers can go look in my archives by choosing a theme. The number of labels is almost as ridiculous as the number of blogroll categories, but I just can't help it. It's part who I am to compulsively categorize everything. I guess it could be the name of a disorder or syndrome: "Compulsive Categorizer Disorder," like obsessive compulsive disorder.

Don't be fooled by that (or this photo of my closet, for that matter) into thinking that I'm an organized person because I'm not. I'm the messiest person you could ever meet, just ask my mom or my poor husband. The top of my desk, my bedroom floor, my closet, are a shame to behold. Not so with my filing cabinet (this is the dissertation drawer -- I ran out of hanging folder tabs, or there would be more of them -- I just bought a package last week, though:) :
This is the extent of my organization, though. Oh, and I almost forgot, most of my photos and negatives are all organized by year (at least up until 1999) -- we do have well over a thousand photos taken between 1990-2003 when we went digital. Needless to say, all my digital photos and computer files are organized too -- but alas, that's a "virtual" kind of organization.

Back to the blog, though. I have already added some nifty novelties, e.g. scroll your mouse over external links in posts or the sidebar and you get to see an image of that site -- this is free service from Snap.com. Now the next step will be to change the template around a bit with the help of sites like this one, which is awesome (thanks for the link, Geeky Mom)! So, get ready to see some changes -- although I am pretty cautious, and the changes that I already made are making it hard for me to add any elements to my the layout -- the page just won't charge!! The problem is that in order to keep the same kind of blogroll, I had to add a lot of html to the layout, and it seems not to be too "happy" about that.

Well, at least I hope I can make more changes to this space.

3 comments:

Rene said...

Very neat. I love the site preview feature. And as far as messy goes--talk to K. You should have seen the guest room a week ago before K and M came to visit.

Juliet said...

Love what you've done with the blog! Send me over some of that recent burst of organization, okay?
~_^ I kno you said you aren't completely organized, but you had a moment, and I am sure that you will have more moments.

wwwmama said...

Thanks for the snap reference! I just added it to my site (in a cool 30 seconds!) I'm impressed by the photo organization. All of mine are in a huge box with no system whatsoever. I'm not even sure the ones on my laptop are backed up. I'm only compartmentally organized. Some aspects of life are completely in order, and others are completely in chaos!