Friday, September 08, 2006

Goodbye Family Bed

Attachment parenting issues have been addressed lately by Kateri (at Wet Feet), and coincidentaly, I have something related to share here (although our story is different and the focus is sleep, not breastfeeding).

After I finally got around to writing my sleep problems post last July, things got better quickly. Linton has really been sleeping through the night since then. After my parents left in August, we decided we'd take the next step and move the boys to their own room, in spite of the fact that Kelvin (who's 4 1/2 now) has been "finishing the night" in our bed almost every day and Linton has been sleeping in the crib (with one side down) next to me since he was born (27 months ago).

During the last week of our vacation, we stayed in the four bedroom house of two friends of ours who are still childless (they have been trying to conceive for 3 years and apparently all is "normal" with them -- same thing with two other friends here in Philly, their experiences make me feel so sad!), so we were able to have a room for ourselves and put the boys in another room with two beds. This worked perfectly well and they generally only came to our room in the morning when they woke up (I guess it helped that they were tired from going to the beach several days :).

Anyway, yesterday, in spite of the incredibly messy house, empty fridge, and all the unpacking that needed to be done, I moved two chests of drawers from the boys' "playroom"/ guest-room (it has a futon) and moved the crib (with a protective railing more or less like this) and the toddler bed there. The night wasn't completely uneventful, given that Linton came to our bed between 5-6 am and there, after nursing, he slept again until 7 and Kelvin got up too, but my husband went back to his room with him and got him to fall asleep again.

The funny thing is that my husband is the only one who's kind of sad to see them go. He truly enjoyed sleeping snuggled next to Kelvin every morning. I guess this is one of the key elements for the "Family Bed" to work -- the willingness of both parents. Both of us enjoyed spending the nights next to our boys, but I guess now it's time to claim our own space again, I'm really ready for that and hopefully the boys are too!

2 comments:

Juliet said...

First of all, welcome back! ^_^

It seems that you are handling this adjustment pretty well. I don't know if I would be able to adjust like that after so long. I hope that all continues to go well for you.

Jennifer said...

I just stumbled across your blog... I am also parenting bilingual kids, living abroad (in Korea), and left a doctoral program not too long ago... I have two boys and we all sleep together on the floor here, which is nice because no bed can hold us all, especially with all the kicking and tossing and turning. I think I love sleeping with the boys as much or more than they do -- having them next to me where I know they are safe, and where I'm able to smell their little pee pee smells, hear them laugh in their sleep, and tuck them back into the blankets in the winter! Leaving the family bed, like starting school or weaning, are just as hard on us parents...