Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Tele-Teaching Poster Child Goes GLOBAL!

These were my feelings & thoughts two weeks ago, after I finished my very first conference call:*

"This is truly insane... why in the world have they invited me?"

"I surely don't belong with university presidents and professors who have been at their universities for 30 years!"

The worst part was that I initially felt very conflicted about having been invited to present on a global forum about my "virtual" teaching experience. I felt that the technology I'm using has great potential to be used for "evil" (i.e. continuing under-employment as adjunct faculty providing even more profits to universities who can now share already marginal employees).

I was able to overcome my scruples and go along with it. Two conference calls after that one and we're nearly ready to record the presentation.

So... this was the news from two weeks ago that made me feel valued and, at the same time, crushed because it doesn't mean much of anything. I've been invited to talk about my experience and it will be broadcast globally to thousands of people. Yeah... mind blowing. I hope it's a harbinger of good things to come. Of future possibilities...

* Which, ironically, happened on the same day I learned the candidates were teaching my class. The conference call then motivated me to talk to my department chair, which, in turn, made me even more panicky and then... blah that crazy week happened. :(

No comments: