Wednesday, June 13, 2012

answers (and no answers) to my questions... not a good vibe

On Sunday night K & I literally spent hours drafting and carefully writing and email to the "other university's" department chair (who is away). I sent it first thing Monday morning. Than, last night I sent a copy to the dean (who had said I could get in touch in the offer letter).

This morning I got an email from the dean saying that s/he would get in touch tomorrow and the dept. chair said s/he's answer my concerns soon.

The email from the chair arrived this evening and it was a disappointment for both K & I. no good vibes... in the last line the chair argues that the main reason I should go teach for them is that the students are really enthusiastic. wow, that is the best you can come up with? seriously? the "congenial department" wasn't featured there this time -- was that because she had just informed me that lecturers don't get funding to go to conferences? And that all lecturers are paid the same (a flat rate per course), regardless of the contact hours of each course. And regardless whether they have an ma or a phd.

The answers were pretty laconic and out of character with the strong commitment in convincing me to take the position that seemed to motivate the other people that talked to me on Friday.

well... it was just a slightly more "sweetened" adjunct position which doesn't really pay double of what I'm paid here (because of more contact hours and more intensive teaching). The main difference is that because I have a contract & a salary, they have, as per state law, to take a pre-tax retirement contribution from my salary towards my retirement.

that's it.

now the balance is leaning towards my current institution again. OK, I have to go to bed. I drove almost 4h today (round trip) to take my sons to spend a few days with his cousins in a camp-meeting. We'll join them on Friday.

I can't wait to be 100% at peace again... sigh.

3 comments:

feMOMhist said...

I have to say I'm following your (internal) debate pretty closely as I could foresee myself in the same position if I apply anywhere else. I have to say that I am not convinced by the idea that somehow being an adjunct at a better school, teaching lower level classes, with a worse schedule and commute would be worthwhile. I hope the decision suddenly presents itself to you:)

Anonymous said...

I haven't been commenting but I have been following this, too. I'm not sure I have a more specific reply than...I wouldn't. I don't think it's a substantial enough improvement to justify the upheaval and expense.

M said...

I have to agree with the previous posters. On one level I think this position could open up a lot of possibilities, but there is only the potential that could happen. Is that potential worth the stress that it is most definitely going to cause you, K, and your children? I'm not sure it is.