Wednesday, July 07, 2010

39. Next Year I'm Throwing a Big Party. Today I just went to DC.

Spending the whole day in and out of museums with my family and coming home to a full inbox with over 70 congratulating messages, either from orkut (Brazilian friends) or from facebook just made my day!

I've always fully enjoyed birthdays, always looking forward to being older and having more and more wonderful experiences in life (I'd always say my new age 4-6 months earlier, yes, even up until a few years ago into my 30s). This year, however, I'm getting a little scared and anxious about "getting old." It's my last year in my 30s, I'm officially no longer a "young adult" -- that's usually until 35. So I've been feeling very despondent about turning 40 next year. I told my mom that we'll probably be in Brazil and that I'll be throwing a HUGE party. Just to make me feel better ;-).

In any case, something that my dear friend Cibele wrote to me in orkut (in Portuguese) made me lots of good today. She wrote,
Congratulations! Simply for being the person that you are... the same loving friend [you've] always been and who continues to grow as a person, woman, mother... so many experiences, no? This is it, don't think about your age, think about the experiences, the learning [moments], that way you'll want more, instead of less!
Thank you my dear friend, that was exactly what I needed to hear today. I can't let the negative experiences of the last three years get to me and bring me down. I'll have a garden, a house and a cat (or more!) someday again. I am immensely happy, married to a wonderful person who's my best friend, someone with whom I share so many interests and two gorgeous sons who love me like crazy. How could I not be happy?

And I did have a wonderful day in D.C. enjoying some of my favorite works of art:
and seeing Julia's kitchen:Did I blog about Julie & Julia yet? No, I didn't have time. The DVD was my Christmas present from K and there's so much to write about it -- particularly the blogging part. Sigh. Someday perhaps, I'll find the time to do it.

I really loved seeing Michelle's dress too (I had no idea it was already there):












All in all, it was a wonderful birthday. On the way back we stopped at an Indian restaurant and the food was great -- although it was soooo spicy the that boys and I had some trouble enjoying it, particularly them. ;-)

And the best part was getting home and reading all the messages. Thank you so much, my friends! Lots of you who know me only through my blog sent me messages on facebook. That was lovely! I wish you could all come to Brazil for my party next year ;-).

2 comments:

Leslie M-B said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you had such a terrific day.

Rene said...

The museums all look like lots of fun! Happy belated!