Thursday, June 18, 2009

Incredible News

So, thanks to our Dear New President, the bank came through and most probably we'll be able to keep the house.

I can't write much (and there's not much more to tell anyway) because I'm "escaping" from the camp for one night because we didn't have enough clothes to deal with the endlessly rainy and unseasonably cold weather. It feels great to be in a warm, spacious house instead of stuck inside a "barrack" style tent whose sides are getting damp from the incessant rain. I arrived late (11 pm) and will be driving back early tomorrow, so I have to go to bed. Good thing it's only 1.5h away.

Anyway... Last Tuesday K was able to talk directly to the bank representative who is dealing with our case and the terms of the renegotiation just blew him away (e.g. temporary 2% interest).We just talked briefly about this and his feeling is that it does not seem fair that just because the timing was "right" (I've written here before about how it was kind of wrong) we're going to benefit from this "bail out" that the government is putting out. K feels that the fair thing in our case would have been selling the house, but of course it'll be great to get to keep it until he has a permanent job.

My reactions are a bit different. First, it's taking time for the news to sink in, it feels too good to be true. Then, I feel this light euphoria, the realization that the house is, in fact, still ours (with it on the market, I felt much less entitled to it) and that I can go back to planning my life in it for a bit longer (e.g. planting more flowers, perennials even!). Tonight as I came in after a few days away I just looked at it with fresh eyes and pondered how beautiful and comfortable it is. I also reminisced about the things that we liked about the house from the start.

It feels like a new beginning, in a sense. And I know I need my sleep, but I also "needed" (OK, wanted) to share the good news with you! I'll be back on Saturday night or Sunday.

5 comments:

AmericanFamily said...

Wow, that is great news! I can feel the relief in your post!

Tracy said...

HURRAY! I'm so, so happy for you and your family, Lilian. I cannot even imagine the relief that you must feel now. ENJOY IT.

Aliki2006 said...

Yay! What wonderful, sweet, glorious news!

Oonie said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations! If nothing else, it bought you time. And the bailout is, in fact, for people who cannot keep their homes otherwise. Ergo, you qualify. Enjoy the breather while you figure out what next!

Choco Pie said...

That is great, great news. I'm so happy for you.