Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Reality Game Show" Party

A while back I commented in passing about Kelvin's fascination with the PBS show Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman, a show that had two seasons in 2006-2007 and is currently on reruns. When he began to watch it at the suggestion of some older school mates he began to pretend that he was a person from TV for the first time ever. I guess that this happened because the show portrays real children that compete in various challenges (before that he never pretended to be Bob the Builder or the Thomas train, although he played with them). Season two is the one he watched first and he decided that he was Rosario (a weird name for me, because in Brazil most "Rosarios" [the word meaning rosary] are women -- "Maria do Rosário" being the most common one). I was dubbed Nina, and other members of the family named after other contestants. He's been watching two back-to-back reruns of the show daily for over two months now, but I hope that after his birthday party he moves on to something else.

I FINALLY prepared the party invitation this afternoon (while I should be working on the dissertation, obviously) and now I feel a bit better because I've been feeling really guilty about not having been able to throw him a birthday party earlier, considering that his birthday was on March 9. I didn't even blog about it, see? But I'm trying to redeem myself although I won't be able to prepare for the party until a few days before it since the defense is next Wednesday.

This is more or less what the invitation looks like (I even wrote a silly little poem, it's probably awful, but it brought a smile to my son's face and that's what I wanted):

Kelvin turned 6 years old and you’re invited to celebrate with us in a “Reality Game Show” setting! At our home (XYZ St.) on Sunday, April 20, at 3:30 p.m.

On TV all you find are re-runs,
But in Kelvin’s party you’ll have lots of fun!
We’ll play games and learn some science,
With many teams and lots of challenges
We’ll pretend it’s “Season Three.”
Let’s see who the winners will be!


Call us at (000) 000-000 to let us know you’re coming or if you get lost on your way to “studio G”!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

That is AWESOME! We love Fetch around here, too. :)

Prisca said...

Fetch is a big hit with my girls, too. I think you're mighty creative to having a Fetch party. :) Somewhere I think there's a children's museum exhibit on Fetch that's traveling the country. I hope I didn't imagine that. ;) Fetch reminds me of the old 1970's PBS show Zoom! which was resurrected in the late 90's. There's a whole generation of us who can sing the Zoom! theme song. Surely Kelvin will know the Fetch song. :)

Rene said...

Sounds like a fun and creative idea for a party. And good luck with the upcoming defense!

Mariana Massarani said...

Oi Lilian!
Um beijo!
Mariana

Tracy said...

Too cute, Lilian!

Nathan loves Ruff Ruffman as well, although he's sick to death of the reruns (as am I, since they're on while I'm making supper). I think doing a Ruff Ruffman party is super-cute, and Kelvin will love it!

We're doing a late birthday party for Nathan, too. He turned 5 on 4/3, but we're having a party for him this weekend. Drop by if you're in the neighborhood! (!)

Anonymous said...

Adorei a idéia do convite, o poema e principalmente o RSVP! Super original!!!