Friday, December 15, 2006

Rejections and Other News

A couple of weeks ago, my husband received his first rejection email of the job search, and I got mine a couple of minutes ago. It's OK... I expected it, since it was an open rank search.

On other news, hubby scored a phone interview to a school in a very interesting location, VA. It wouldn't be too far from my brother-in-law's family in MD and still possible to drive to MA to visit the parents-in-law. I'm pretty excited about that one, and I'll keep you posted!


Oh, and I have some family health-related news as well. My dad had a basal cell carcinoma removed from his nose last week. The results of the biopsy came in on Tuesday and my parents were quite stressed, since another one was removed 7 or 8 years ago, also from his nose and they were scared that this could be worse, since it was the second one. Apparently all of it was removed though, and they were calmer after they talked to a doctor on the phone. Skin cancer is no joke, though, so I'm really careful applying sunscreen -- something my dad never did and his fair skin (he's of German descent) suffered all his life under the bright Brazilian sun.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I'm sorry about your dad and the rejections. Skin cancer is such a scary thing and hopefully he'll get well soon!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you about your husband's phone interview! It certainly sounds promising!

Also, I've always been wanting to ask but keep forgetting: what area is your husband specialized in (like is he in the humanities too, or an engineer, or something completely different?)

jo(e) said...

Basal cell carcinoma is a very common form of skin cancer, and it rarely spreads to any other part of the body. Removing it usually is a cure. My mother (who has fair skin and spent summers in the sun on the Jersey shore) has had many patches of skin cancer removed, but they have always been basal cell or squamous cell. You can reassure your parents that the cancer is not likely to spread, although he may find new patches that have formed on their own, if that makes sense. New patches are not the same as a cancer that mestastasizes.

The dangerous, life-threatening form of skin cancer is melanoma. That's the word you don't want to hear after a biopsy. But even then, sometimes removal can be effective. My husband had a melanoma removed from his back about eight years ago and it has not reoccurred.

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to hear about the rejections and your dad's. From jo(e)'s comment it seems that it is not a dangerous cancer. I hope it keeps that way.
All the best for you and your family.

ArticulateDad said...

Good luck on the VA opportunity.