Monday, December 11, 2006

Mothers and Ph.D.s II

Thanks for your comment, Meredith! I agree that graduate school is a good time to have babies, even though it may delay the finishing of the degree. I'm sorry biology intervened in your case. I did try for one whole year before getting pregnant during graduate school, but I think the timing was OK. I didn't plan to go on and have my second son before finishing the Ph.D. , but the timing was even better in that case because I was able to have the same doctors and hospital and, most importantly, have our union sponsored student plan which covered ALL the expenses of both births. After my husband finished the Ph.D. and we moved here, I didn't have health insurance after (I mean, I do pay for an extremely high deductible and co-pay plan, just in case I have an accident, or cancer... I don't even use it because of the copay and deductible).

Anyway, I didn't get in touch with with my former colleague yet, but I'm back to talk about this topic because I remembered I know a blogger that is starting a Ph.D. program part time with not three, but FOUR children (sons), aged 10, 7, 4, and 19 months. She had another non-anonymous blog before (I don't think I should reveal who she was) and used to home-school the boys, but now that she's going for the Ph.D., they are in school. I just added another comment to Dr. B.'s post with this information. Recently, "Clemencia" had this and that to say about how her first semester is going. Her research is fascinating, she is investigating the link between breastfeeding and early language development. I hope she succeeds in getting her Ph.D.!

No comments: