Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Get Ready to See More of Me

I have decided it's high time I start posting more often here. The number of posts I have started or have thought about writing is getting higher and higher and I think that instead of spending the bulk of my "blogging" time reading and commenting on other blogs, I should just write more. Particularly considering that many of the bloggers I read and diligently comment on (because I truly enjoy the content and the writers) don't read this blog.

Blogging is not easy for me sometimes because I feel I'm just a "nobody" out there. Besides, I feel I'm too "eclectic" and end up not fitting well into any "clique" or category. I'm a blogging mama (I don't like the "mommy blogger" label too much) who doesn't write often enough about her sons -- one reason is that I'd need to translated all the cute things they say and that would make them much less funny (I have been planning a post about things they say for two years now, though :). I'm an dissertating/ABD/ academic blogger who doesn't blog about academia too much -- my conflicted feelings about academia and being an academic are a big reason. Finally, I'm an expatriate who should write about her country and her feelings about the new country more often, since these things are part of every single day of my life (all right, sometimes I do write about this - probably not lately, but I have written about it several times).

Well, I'm really tired from the trip, the house is still a mess and I know that tomorrow is going to be a really loooong day, so I'll stop for now, but I should be back soon. I even have some interesting news regarding the boys (hints, sleep, potty, etc... all those fun parenting subjects!).

Oh, and I have one more reason to go on a "posting jag" -- soon I'll have to take a break to go back to dissertation work in earnest. This is my last year. Wow, I can't believe I just wrote that, but it is, no matter what!!

7 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Welcome back!

I sympathize with your conflicted identity re: blogging. I suffer from it too--so many thoughts, so many different perspectives, hard to capture it all.

Good luck on the dissertation front. I am three weeks past deadline and am feeling blue about whether or not I will, indeed, ever finish it (I never emailed you any accountability stuff because I just feel so low about it all). I think it just might get the best of me, in the end. I've given myself this year to finish, too--no matter what!

kate said...

I for one am glad you'll be posting more! I always like reading what you have to say...

Mary Tsao said...

I try and put writing in my blog first before reading and commenting on other people's blogs. It's a good resolution to have. Good luck!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about your trip. I would love to read more about all these topics too... I am very curious about your dissertation work and your expat point of view. I get some Portuguese readers (from looking at my site meter, anyway) and I think they must come from you... I am sure you must have a lot of facinating observations and thoughts about Brazil and the US and the travel between...bring it on!

Alice said...

I love your eclectic posts, this was the reason at first why I kept coming back for more. I love diversity! ;) I am not sure what kind of blogger I am, but I don't want to limit myself to one topic, either.

Great that you've decided to write more in the future! I will have to figure out some kind of "system" as well, as I do want to continue blogging but at the same time it takes up so much time...

Overwhelmed! said...

It's so hard to find that balance between posting and responding to the comments that readers leave. You want to respond to comments with comments of your own, but sometimes that takes so much time that you get discouraged from blogging altogether.

I try my best to respond to all my comments, but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to read blogs and post on my own.

Anyway, I hope you find more time for blogging. Good luck with that!

ArticulateDad said...

Dear Lilian,

You are most welcome here, whatever you post about. You are most assuredly not a nobody. You keep writing. We'll keep reading.