Sunday, June 05, 2005

Blame it on "Invisible Adjunct"

I went to respond to expatmama's comment to a previous post (May 18 - I'm too tired right now to bother to add a link, sorry)... and I finally realized what got me started with this whole blogging thing.

No, it had nothing to do with mothering, which now seems to be my main focus, as well as the topic of all blogs I read, either regularly or by chance (my blogroll needs some serious updating). The very first blog I ever read was Invisible Adjunct's, after it had already been "abandoned" by the writer. The funny thing was that even though I was genuinely interested in the academic things (will write more on that below), what I craved to read first and foremost were all the personal entries, most of which had to do with her son (the most poignant one involves her reaction to him almost being killed by a cab driver).

I now realize that this is a perfect metaphor for my life. I should be writing my dissertation, thinking about academia, but all I want is to concentrate on my personal life and interests, read about and interact with other moms (oh well, too bad I can only do it online... but that's another matter), and, oops, blog.

It's partly Invisible Adjunct's fault as well... the parts of the blog that I read (and the 2 articles in the Chronicle of Higher Ed she links to and cites) were her arguments AGAINST pursuing a Ph.D. I found out about the blog when a colleague forwarded the Chronicle's article about Invisible Adjunct to the listserv of my dept's graduate students. [oh, yes, I have come across, but not followed, entries in blogs about an adjunct professor, I guess, who was fired for comments on her blog - I guess the "technical term" would be "dooced", right, bloggers? Anyway, I don't think graduate students will ever "suffer" if they blog, will they?]
When I read parts of Invisible Adjunct's blog, I felt SOOOOO discouraged. I thought I fit perfectly in the category of people who shouldn't have bothered getting a Ph.D. Perhaps a little smart, very motivated, but not bright enough, with the guts to fight the competition and ever get a good job. Oh, yes, and to top it off, I'm a foreigner, I don't even know the educational system of this country -- I came here only for graduate school -- I don't fit at all in American academia, most probably!!!

I read this blog too late, though. I think it was last summer. I had just defended my prospectus, and given birth. I had already spent 6 years in graduate school (7 if you count my non-degree first year - WOW, that would mean I've been 8 years in this journey -- will I ever finish?)

And now I think my professional "destiny" (and this kind of ties in with the job discussion that has been going on at Expat Mama) will be to be an invisible adjunct myself. I don't see much more than that happening after I finish my Ph.D. and my babies grow up enough so I can go back to work.

I felt very out-of-place as a T.A. I had never had a T.A. as an instructor, I had no idea, and no way to find out, whether the "cold" and sometimes "careless" (in the sense of not caring) -- though never disrespectful -- way the students treated me as their teacher (when I was teaching classes entirely on my own) was the norm, or just if I was a not so good teacher. I really can't see myself as a "professor" here in the US. Perhaps only in one area: Brazilian literature and culture, maybe Portuguese language (I have to say, for the record, that I do not like teaching language, even though I taught English in Brazil). However, this is a TINY, really minuscule academic area. Very few universities offer Portuguese classes, let alone Brazilian lit courses... and I doubt any of them are hiring anyone anytime soon -- oh yes, and I forget -- we have no idea where my husband will find a job, and, chances are, the university that hires me won't have Portuguese classes, nor will any other institutions around it.

On the other hand, when I think of going back to Brazil, I can easily see myself as a respected professional/professor there, with a Ph.D. from an American University in hand, a broad knowledge of a foreign culture, etc... And then I feel that not going back would be professional or academic "suicide" for me. If I stay here I might just end up staying at home with my kids, even home-schooling (that sounds really weird coming out of somebody who always said she valued school, etc... but that's an entirely different subject I don't want to write about now) -- that, of course, if my husband finds a decent tenure-track job as a physicist at a research university (and even then I might have to try to find whatever work is available so we can have more income). I have often thought, and tried to convince myself of, that teaching at a Community College (nothing against them, on the contrary) would be a very noble job.

That's where I guess my rambling comments here tie in to Expat Mama's discussion about work: I think that in Brazil, similar to here, people also view work as something that you need to enjoy, as a kind of "calling", something you're vocationed to do. People are encouraged to study whatever they are passionate about, and try to find a fulfilling job after. That's what I've been led to believe all my life, and both my parents were always "fulfilled" professionals... I feel frustrated thinking that if we choose to remain here, I won't be able to feel this fulfillment, no matter what my qualifications are.

Those are not the best feelings in the world to work with when you have to find out strength to finish a Ph.D. dissertation...

5 comments:

kate said...

Hey, congratulations on Kelvin's first birthday! Elias turns 11 months today so we're coming up on that milestone as well...

Anyway,this is an interesting post, and yes, a dilemma. After reading it, I couldn't help thinking, "Hmm, so why don't they go back to Brazil?" That way you could have the job you wanted, and your husband would probably find a good job there as well. He might have to give up some of the earning power and prestige that he would have had in the US, but your increased status could make up for that. But of course these decisions involve many variables and I can't possible know what's right for your family. But at this point you do have the perfect opportunity to fully consider all the options, since neither of you has a job yet that would be hard to uproot from...

Anyway, good luck!

Kate

L said...

Thanks, Kate, for the congratulations. Linton just turned 1, Kelvin's 3 - sometimes (I don't know why exactly) I don't use their names much in the blog...

As to the reason why we don't go back "right now"... The hiring process in the public universities ("Federal" ones, and the Sao Paulo State ones - the best in the country) is quite bureaucratic. There is a "concurso" (literally translated, a competition, or "contest") to get in, involving not only an application with CV, etc, but also a test that the applicant has to go in person to take. He is thinking of applying to some openings, but none of them are exactly for his area (you know how specialized things get in the doctoral level in the natural sciences) -- that's why he's trying to validate his diploma, etc (I commented on this on your blog). Right now, it's a long shot, but in the future an opening might present itself. One of the problems is that there's practically nobody working in his area in Brasil, and he'd have to "convince" a physics dept. in one of these research universities to start working in a new area.

You're right, though, it seems a good idea to go back - especially for me. If Klebert does get a good academic job here, though, it's much better for him professionally. Of course in the personal and familial level, Brasil IS the place for us to be... Yes, it's hard... Let's see what the future holds.

Alice said...

Hi,
This has been very interesting for me to read as I used to be almost in a similar situation a couple of years ago ... I was also in a phD program in an American University (I actually took courses in Brasilian cinema, lol), a foreigner, T.A. (which I hated), and no clue where I was heading with all that. In the end I decided that the phD wasn't for me and that I wanted to move back home with my family, and that's what we did. For us it was the right decision.
Hang in there & wish you all the best!

L said...

Thanks for commenting, Sophie. I'm glad you left the Ph.D. program and went back home and that it worked for you (I liked what you wrote about phD in your blog after your friend got hers - I'll comment more there). Oh, I and I hope you enjoyed that Brazilian cinema class! I know a bit about this topic, but I'd rather teach and recommend a class on Brazilian music (as linked to Brazilian culture and literature) :)
Maybe someday I'll get to teach it, what about that?

Alice said...

Lilian,
I can only imagine what it must be like to work on your dissertation and to take care of two children at the same time. See, when I quit I didn't have any children yet and I felt sooo overwhelmed ... Your situation now must be incredibly tough ... but so admirable of you to hang in there anyway!!!

Wish you all the Best