Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Table and Chairs

Remember that I wanted finally, after 11 and a half years of marriage, to buy a dinner table and chairs? I said that when I posted about the new floors. After we got married and lived in Brazil for 1 1/2 years we used an old dinner table and chairs from my mom, then, when we came to the U.S. back in 1996, we were given a table when we arrived and bought four folding chairs and those were what we had until now.

Well, I forgot to tell you that on May 26th, my husband's 35th birthday (mine is coming soon! :) we went to IKEA and bought the NYGÅRD table and four ARON chairs (we'll buy two more next month). After Alice's comment, I was quite disappointed in my choice and afraid to buy the Nygard table, but it did fit OK - it is pretty small after all. The only problem is that I wanted the chairs with dark blue upholstery, but those were the darker wood ones, and I really wanted the lighter wood color, so I had to settle for cream colored upholstery (I even thought of dyeing them dark blue, but I guess I won't :) . Here are a couple of pictures for you.












Promised posts and regularly scheduled programming are coming soon, please be patient with me :)

3 comments:

Alice said...

Sorry about that with the table and that I caused you undue disappointment about it. I am grinning to myself now, though, because I think we were having a cultural difference here: I just remembered that everything that is considered "big" in Europe is considered "tiny" in the US, and everything that's "small" or "normal" in the U.S. is "gigantic" over here! So a small coke at McDonald's in the US is equivalent to size medium here, and people never order large anyway because to us that is supersized! So to an average European dining room, the Nygard table is enormous ... and I am sometimes still disgruntled because I stumble over the extending leg tables. On the other hand it is probably THE most practical table to have and I wouldn't exchange it for another one now ... it's a miracle what this table has to endure under our kids! Lol. I really like your white table cloth - that strip in the middle (how do you call that in English, I can only think of the German word now?), it's very pretty! I love pretty tables but never decorate my own because the kids pull at everything ... :(

Juliet said...

I'm sorry the chairs weren't all you wanted. :-( I hope you enjoy them a little, though. I love IKEA!

L said...

Prof. Me, thanks for the suggestion! I thought about doing it, or even simply dyeing the covers it came with. Something I'll definitely do whether I re-upholster or not is to treat the fabric with one of those "Stain guard" sprays - my sofa has it and it does work.