Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ten Years Anniversary

Ten years ago today we arrived in this country, at the JFK airport in New York, with seven pieces of luggage (thanks to the fact that we were travelling with our choir, who was coming for a month-long tour in which we participated - but that's another story) and no idea of how long we were going to stay here.

10 years, 2 master's degrees, 2 sons, 1 Ph.D. and 1 ABD (all but dissertation) later, here we are. The most unsettling part? I am still on a student visa and my hubby only has a temporary work permit visa. We have been paying taxes as residents or citizen for 4 years now. Foreigners can only pay taxes as foreigners or temporary residents for up to 6 years, then, you pay them as if you were a resident or citizen, though you do not receive most of the benefits other tax payers receive - INCLUDING TAX breaks!! We pay FULL taxes, but because we're foreigners, we don't get the tax breaks (only the one for each of the children, I think). Moreove, if that "amnesty" law for illegal immigrants passes (those who've been here for 5 years and have been paying taxes may be able to apply for residency) they'll be ahead of us who've been here for 10 years legally but cannot become residents unless one of us finds a permanent job (being a postdoc is just a temporary gig). Unnerving, huh?

Last year I didn't remember to post on the day of the anniversary, but I wrote a long post on my feelings about being an expatriate for such a long time (back then, Alice, you were still "Sophie" :) I still don't view myself as an immigrant, though right now I don't really feel much like going back to Brazil like I did last June. I guess part of the reason is the fact that my husband tried but didn't pass in the concurso to became a faculty member of an university in Brazil. While he was there and the possibility that he might pass and we might have to move struck me in full force I balked at the idea of going back. Right now I don't know what I want to happen... The feelings about my children and friendships (and my own friendships) remain the same, though I think I'm becoming more flexible and open about that too.

There's going to be no celebration here today... There's not much to celebrate, you see, we continue to live in a limbo. For how long, I wonder?

6 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Limbo is getting to be a rather populous town. At least we have nice neighbors.

L said...

Articulate Dad - yes, I do feel thankful for the nice neighbors (like yourself) we have in Limboland. How would we survive without one another's support?

christina said...

Wow, Lilian, your post from last year is so interesting and I can really identify. Seems like there are an awful lot of expats torn between the lives they have built in a foreign country and the urge to "go home".

Alice said...

2 masters - is that yours and your husband's or did you work on two masters in the meantime (just curious?).

I like the term "limbotown" - aptly expresses that inbetween state of "not really here" and "not there yet". I hope for you guys that something concrete develops soon so that you know in which direction you'll go!

Juliet said...

If you want, I can give you Dave's e-mail. He may be able to give you some advice. It's worth a try. If you are interested, e-mail me at dalian_moonAThotmailDOTcom and I will give it to you.

kate said...

Sigh. This is hard. I hope you can find some more stability soon...