Monday, May 08, 2006

Home Improvement II

Just some pictures of the new floor for you, while I work on other posts of a more "serious" nature :)
























It looks pretty good, doesn't it?'

We also rearranged our living room and I LOVE the results (I haven't taken pictures yet). Now we need a dining set. I don't know when we'll buy it because we don't have much money, but I want to buy it at IKEA. The tables I like are this or that, and this is the chair I'm absolutely in love with. Both are quite pricey, that's why I want/need to have a job too so we can buy things we need (or hubby needs to get a good paying gig)! We've used a donated table and four 17 dollar folding chairs for TEN years - don't you think it's time we invest on something good and beautiful? Well, too bad I haven't finished the Ph.D. yet and we're still kind of waiting for our lives to start... We're getting tired of this though -- come on, we're 35 already! (technically not yet - hubby in late May, me in July :)

I didn't write last week because we were busy on Wednesday night and all day Thursday with a visit from the in-laws, who just arrived in this country to work and live for several years. My brother- and sister-in-law also came from Maryland to have lunch with us on Thursday, it was great to see them, particularly my future nephew -- my SIL is due on June 29th with another boy (my in-laws' fourth grandson!). The weekend was pretty busy too... More later.

7 comments:

Juliet said...

Things look great! I can't wait to see more pictures.

I just love Ikea, don't you?

I am sure your excited to see your new nephew. That should be exciting for you. ^_^

L said...

Painting was done by husband when I was away for two months in Brazil last year. I with we had done different hues for two of the walls, but I didn't think of it until I saw many houses in Brazil with that neat effect (my parents' living room included - it does have a similar color in two different hues). Anyway... It's too hard to paint with two little boys in the house, and it'd be too much to ask of my parents right now....

You didn't get to see the furniture, or much else in the room in these pics... Maybe I'll post more in the future. The window shades came with the house. I have my own from the previous house but the window is so long/ wide that we never got around to installing them. Life's not easy with small kids.

L said...

I meant wo write - "I wish we had done [chosen] different hues..."

Another problem - kitchen was painted with eggshell paint (as well as living area and stair well/ hall upstairs) - not a good idea for kitchen (should be glossy paint) or rest of the house if you have small kids, since eggshell's not really washable. Hopefully we'll sell this house in a year or so, and get it right in the next one. Hubby didn't even realize he had picked the wrong kind of paint and I wasn't here to help him choose...

Alice said...

It looks Awesome, Lilian!!!!! Incidentally, we are also in the middle of overhauling our apartment, or maybe I should say we are continuing with our furnishing process (as we've only moved in here half a year ago) so I am totally with you with the mess & the stress. Will blog about it when I get to it.

And oh, we've started to live at IKEA ... all our furniture is from there...we have the Nygard table!! Let me tell you, get it only if your dining room is spacious because the table is rather big. Sometimes I find the size annoying. It is super convenient when you have a family, sturdy & the kids can do all sorts of things on it (Niki loves to bang his wooden toys on it & Isabella paints all over it but the material withstands, lol).

christina said...

I think it looks really nice! Is that laminate flooring? That's what we have all over our house. No carpets and we are SO glad with the amount of stuff the kids have spilled over the years.

Hope you can find some reasonably priced furniture. It's so great to finally have 'grown up' stuff that you love.

L said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments!

I agree with you Juliet that IKEA is awesome. I guess in a few years we'll be like you, Alice, "living at IKEA" :)

Alice, we do not have much room, so now I'm really sad that we may not be able to have the Nygard table :( They say in the catalog that it is from 4-8 people and that it can be opened (with 2 leaves that remain under it when closed) and I thought that it'd be small enough when closed, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll measure the dining area of the living room carefully before we go to the store. Thanks for letting me know about this, though.

Yes, Christina, we put laminate flooring in (there's another post two posts down in which I explain a bit about it and have more pics of the installation - I don't know if you've seen it) - I really like it!

t1 Diabetes said...

Hey Lilian... just stoping by to say "hi"... and wow! that is an awesome job on your house... one of those days I'll stop by to check it out... and I promisse not to hit on your car again! lol seriously, the floors are very very nice!!!