Sunday, February 17, 2013

You know you're getting old...

... when you fall asleep during the first musical performance of SNL even though you've had 8.5 good hours of sleep the night before. Sigh...  (K actually fell asleep after the second skit, he got up earlier than me).

And it's worse yet not to be able to get up and go to bed and just nap there in front of the tv and under the blankets. (I actually turned off the TV when I was only awake to watch two fragments of the Weekend Update and was falling back asleep). I think we only got into bed close to 1 am.

Of course part of it is just the routine -- our bodies are now trained to get up around 7 am and to go to bed earlier so we can cope, but still... yeah, part and parcel of getting old is becoming more sleepy and not being able to stay up late as much as we used to. Blah...

The weekend was good. Friday night we had a kind of housewarming party/Bible study get-together at a friend's house. Then yesterday we had friends over for a delicious Italian food lunch and spirited conversations and discussions all afternoon accompanied by my made-from-scratch chai tea (I had the spiced water and people could use rooibos [brought from South Africa last year] or black tea).

Last night we had a "game night" at the university, but very few people showed up. The boys and K played pool with our friend E (who is a doctoral student in music) and her friend who came from Mexico to audition to become a doctoral student too! He's a really nice guy and he's married to a Brazilian (YAY!!), so we're hoping he'll be accepted and come live here next year!!!

Today I had to help a friend with a small, simple, co-ed wedding shower and that was good, especially the Indian food & Ukrainian blintzes (the groom is Indian American, the bride is Ukrainian).

The funnest part of the weekend was spending some time reading the next novel I'm teaching and watching a TV adaptation of it online. I can't believe I get to teach Brazil's most famous author and what's considered his masterpiece!

Oh... and I think they will really continue to offer me a full time lecturer job at my current place of employment. I hope to keep the part-time gig, though that will be lots of work (maybe 2 extra classes on top of my 3). And I hope to be able to continue doing the long commute without being completely burned-out. More on this soon!

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: