Friday, June 24, 2011

Library of the Early Mind: a fantastic documentary about children's literature

So, I am going to talk more about the conference after all, before it's too late and I forget to do it.

I saw a screening of this documentary tonight and it is just amazing. If you enjoy children's books you should definitely try to see it when it is released (I will let you know as soon as I hear, they plan to release a DVD by the end of the year and I hope it works out). Here's the trailer:


For me, just getting to know David Small was 100% worth it, but there is so, so much more there! And to think that I missed the first 20 minutes of the film and will have to wait to see it when it becomes available on DVD. A couple more things about the conference... my paper presentation went really well and our  panel was awesome.

 The bad wireless connection here just "ate up" this angsty paragraph  I'd just written about how my paper and this conference have awakened my desire to write the book I've always wanted to write (the dissertation that I never got to work on which is good because it might have " killed" the subejct for me). In any case... writing an academic book is a pretty useless endeavor if one doesn't have a "real"  (i.e. TT) academic job, but I'm stupid enough to want to try to do it. I just wish I could be less of a slacker and have the stamina to do it... I don't know how in the world I could do it, but I sure can try! I'll keep you updated... 

2 comments:

Laura in Oz said...

Lilian, I have just found your blog, first blog I have ever tried to read. I live in Australia, I have two boys, my native language is Spanish but I am fluent...or I was...in Portuguese and of course in English. Congratulations, it seems really a beautiful work you have done here. In regards to this last entry I am so looking forward seeing this documentary.

Libby said...

Oh, sorry I missed the film! And that we didn't see more of each other--I was a little under the weather the whole time and, having gotten there later than planned, had to try to squeeze four days into three. Impossible! But it was a fantastic conference all around, and I am again energized for my own work--sounds like you are, too, even if that's a bit angsty. (It is here, too, for what it's worth...)