Saturday, October 09, 2010

It's insane, but he asked it

First, though, he kind of had to say "yes" to the offer.

The phone call I mentioned at the end of my previous post didn't happen until Friday evening. When they talked yesterday K made it clear to his prospective department chair that it would be a step back for us to move there if I didn't have a job, since my adjuncting gig here is guaranteed to continue, probably for years to come. We know it does sound insane to make such a request to a prospective academic employer, but as we say in Brazil, "the ball is on our side or court" now, so we have to take advantage of the situation. We don't have anything to lose at this point.

We are at peace with this because staying here wouldn't be bad, although several things have been happening -- including the way I felt writing those syllabi and some negative things going on in K's current department -- that make us realize that going there would be pretty good, too, even better in some areas.

Let's see what's going to happen. Right now, I think I'm getting excited about the possibility of going, but I can totally live with staying too.

Oh, yeah, and about the whole saying yes thing. At the end of the call, K was asked point black whether he'd accept the offer if they had work for me too. He answered that there would be a very high probability that he would. ;-)

And now I'm going to change the subject ASAP.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not insane. it's the way things are done.

kate said...

Oooh, can we start jumping up and down yet? Anyway, it's sounding very good!