Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hmmm... // 75% Success Rate

The decision is still very much up in the air.

The phone conversation today was disappointing. The salary is fairly low. Pretty standard, but low. Not too much more than what K gets here. And summer salary is not a certainty (here K is getting it for three years). The expectations there, however, are sky high, whereas here, they're pretty down to earth & tenure is all but certain.

We were very surprised that three years ago, when K's friend P had a FANTASTIC job search season (with five job offers, including Duke, UC Boulder & NC) the same place K's getting a job offer from now offered P only 1K less than it's offering K now. I guess the annoying explanation that everyone is giving for everything nowadays ("It's the economy, stupid!") may be the culprit, but still... no wonder their original search fell through earlier this year! And it might just be falling through again.

And with this kind of offer, we're definitely not going if I don't have a job with some security. I think it could be an adjunct position only if they could assure me that they wouldn't dump me in the next semester -- because here I can foresee that I have a chance to be employed long-term. Without two incomes (however small for me) we wouldn't be able to make it there because the cost of living is significantly higher (e.g. the boys' school will be over 30% pricier and I'm sure rent there won't be what we're paying here).

So, yeah... the jury's still out on this one. Let's keep the roller coaster going for a while longer, shall we? Enjoy the ride!

~ ~~~ ~ ~~~ ~ ~~~
Meanwhile, K is positively gloating over his job search success. 75% success rate!
4 interviews, 3 offers. It doesn't get any better than that. And he didn't care for the Ivy-league place anyway ;-). Really. They even gave him trouble when reimbursing his expenses (they claimed he had traveled to another interview after that one when that was NOT the case and wanted to reimburse only half of his cost).

So, yeah. Thank you so much for all your encouraging comments. And I want to change the subject very quickly over here, it doesn't feel so good to keep talking about this subject. And, BTW, I don't think I'm dumping the semi-anonymity any time soon because it's important to K that he remains "untraceable" through my blog. It's just fair, right? I talk too much about him as it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Very unsatisfactory.