Friday, September 17, 2010

The First Pay Check

It feels great to have received my first paycheck today. I was going to put the laptop away when I remembered to check our bank account and see it. This is my first reasonably decent paycheck since I had to stop being a graduate student instructor when we moved from MA to PA six years ago. It's more than what I made as a grad. student and that's good too.

Yesterday I had a full day and I was thinking that working (outside the house) feels good. I miss the boys a lot, particularly on Tuesdays & Thurdays when I teach from 5-6:15 pm. For six years I spent most days with Linton close by and Kelvin was in school for only one year without me (the next year I worked at the school three days a week). I love it that I was able to be with them for so many years, but I'm thrilled to be back at work too.

The transition is not being so easy on Linton, though. After all, six years at home and being able to play a whole lot (even with the cyber-schooling last year) make for a tough transition to being in school for so many hours a day. The many changes are taking his toll on my "baby" and this week was hard for him. I'll try to come back and blog about that later. Now I have to go and pick them up at school (we have early pick up on Fridays).

1 comment:

Oonie said...

Congrats on the paycheck! They are beautiful things. Enjoy.
As to the toll of school...I'm sure it's magnified for a formerly schooled-at-home kid but *all* of them struggle, especially at that age, at the return to school and heightened expectations. I feel like it's up to me to just let the emotional storms come at home and hang on and remember: it's not really about the Lego. Or the hot dog. Or the whatever triggered this one.