Sunday, January 17, 2010

Should I Twitter? Please Respond :-)

Should I Twitter?

Why yes? Why not? (meaning: Why do you do it? Or why don't you do it?).

First problem: in which language would I tweet? Should I do it in both and have two accounts? This in-between life is just SO confusing! :-) I don't think many of my friends in Brazil tweet, if any, so I guess that kind of answers the question. I don't even blog in Portuguese!

Another thing that bothers me is that I think I'd be tweeting to NOBODY. I mean, only a handful of people read my blog, but who would read my tweets? And why?

I'm sure I'd start with adding the tweets of people I whose blogs I already read to my feed, but would they add me too? I really don't know if I see the point of tweeting. I think it's spectacular to see how the Maytag episode with Dooce went -- it demonstrated the power of the internet and Tweeter, but still... do non-famous people get heard in Tweeter at all? Well, maybe that's not the point, the point is to communicate with people instantly and share one's opinion.

Why would tweeter work better than blogging in the sharing opinions point? Because it's an ongoing discussion and because people get instant reactions and input from other people?

Ah! Last, but not least, if one doesn't use a smart-phone and is NOT online on the go, would tweeting still make any sense?

7 comments:

Oonie said...

I am on twitter but so rarely use it. I am not pithy enough to finish in 140 characters most of the time. I am on because I think the people I follow are worth following but I'm only on about twice a month. As you can probably guess, I don't have a smartphone. Well, I do, but I refuse to pay the connection charges for it!

Dawn said...

I wouldn't twitter except that I see it as my water cooler. I'm here working at my desk and I can dip in and out to chat with people. I also have to be on for work or I'd be on it even less than I am, truthfully. It's a time suck.

Keiko said...

My totally personal perspective: I can't write two sentences only. And honestly my friend, I don't think you can either! :-)
I tried and did 2 tweets (??) didn't work for me...

keiko

kate said...

I don't use Twitter, mostly because I already waste enough time online as it is, and because I can't imagine having anything worth saying in 140 characters or less. I've never been on it so maybe there is an appeal that I'm just not getting, but when people post their Twitter activity on their blogs I never feel like I'm missing much by not having an account.

But if I did use it, I would follow you!

Rene said...

I have an account and I like the idea of Twitter--the following, the brevity, etc. But I honestly don't post there often, mostly because I don't want to post the exact same thing that I posted on Facebook.

What I like about Twitter: following certain celebrities, friends,orgnizations, and news sites to get quick informtion (lots of these tweets come with links to more in-depth articles).

christina said...

I just joined Twitter and all I can say is: meh. Just another time waster as far as I'm concerned and I prefer to waste my time on Facebook. :-) I see a lot of self-promotion and business combined with personal stuff on Twitter and find it kind of confusing. But that's just me.

You could try it for a while and see how you like it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you would be less boring twtting