Friday, October 10, 2008

Of Births, Dreams, and Donations

My mom called from Brazil not too long ago to tell me that my dearest cousin's daughter was born today around noon and that everything is going well. I wish I could be there in Brazil to see him, his wife, and my new little cousin.

Over a year ago I had a very vivid dream one night. I dreamed that I was in a hospital in Curitiba, the city where my cousin JC and many other members of my extended family, both in my dad's and my mom's side, live. I was there because JC's wife had just given birth. JC's sister, who lives in Arizona and has never been back to Brazil since she came to live in the U.S. back in 1990, was also there and that, in and of itself was amazing. Being with both of them felt lovely and is actually something that may not get to ever happen again (I really wish it would)... Most of all, though, I remember this feeling of wonder, that my dear cousin was now a father. He was telling me all about his child (I don't remember if it was a girl or boy), and, strangely enough, we were talking on the roof of the hospital. He was going to take me down to see the baby, and then I woke up...

I had this dream months before JC's wife got pregnant and I was able to tell him the dream when I saw him last year in June. I really wish I could look into his beautiful blue eyes right now and see the magic and the wonder of new parenthood gleaming in them. I know he is going to be the most wonderful father and I can't wait to get to meet his beautiful baby daughter.

~ ~ ~ ~
On the other hand, I've just been reading about Annika's third liver transplant (I'm linking to the whole month of October, go back to October 9, the day of the transplant to read from the beginning) (thanks for the heads up, Jody!). I've read Moreena's blog once in a while for several years now, and as a mother it's always painful to read about someone's sick child, especially with a chronic liver illness like Anika has. I was particularly moved when Moreena talked about the donor, also a child, and how his heart and some other organ were also donated to other children at the same Children's hospital.

I think organ donation is a beautiful and altruistic gift and I am registered to do it. If anything were to happen to my boys, I think I would also donate their organs. It is very moving to see how Moreena is thinking constantly of this other child who unfortunately lost his life, but who, in the process, is giving a new chance at living for other children.

~ ~ ~ ~
This brings me to the latest link that I offer today, which is related to the previous story because it also has to do with donation, but this time donating money to people in need even though some of the money might be used for drugs or something. Dooce wrote this post yesterday and it really nearly moved me to tears. I really hope I can be more compassionate in the future and that I can teach my sons to be compassionate towards people in need.

Old time readers may remember this sad experience that I posteda about two years ago around Thanksgiving... We have to pay more attention to people around us and to think less of ourselves. I often think of how fortunate I am to have all that I have and I wonder how I could help others more. We always freely give things we no longer need to friends (instead of simply selling them on eBay) and people we know (right now I need to donate a beautiful crib and I just don't know anyone who is about to have a baby), but I think that is not enough. This holiday season I wanted to be able to get involved in a hands on philantropic experience with my sons, instead of showering them with presents that they don't need and won't use. Perhaps we should contact Philabundance or some other local organization. Any thoughts?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life is precious and the birth of a new baby brings that awareness to the forefront. Organ donation also highlights the fleetness and preciousness of life. We must not forget, however, that some people are alive, but can hardly enjoy life because they lack some of its most basic necessities. We must not forget those folks either. They're precious too, although most people think that they're worthless...

I guess that some people are taking those thoughts to heart and deciding to go a different route this election season. I hope it really does come true.

3 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

I hope it does come true, too, Lilian.

Beautiful post!

Unknown said...

Over half of the 100,000 Americans on the national transplant waiting list will die before they get a transplant. Most of these deaths are needless. Americans bury or cremate about 20,000 transplantable organs every year. Over 6,000 of our neighbors suffer and die needlessly every year as a result.

There is a simple way to put a big dent in the organ shortage -- give organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs when they die.

Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to register as organ donors. It will also make the organ allocation system fairer. People who aren't willing to share the gift of life should go to the back of the waiting list as long as there is a shortage of organs.

Anyone who wants to donate their organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers. LifeSharers is a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. Membership is free at www.lifesharers.org or by calling 1-888-ORGAN88. There is no age limit, parents can enroll their minor children, and no one is excluded due to any pre-existing medical condition.

Prisca said...

Congratulations, Auntie! I'm sure the baby is gorgeous. It is hard to be so hard from your dear ones when such special events occur.

I'm thinking of your philanthropic hopes and dreams and I think you're definitely onto something. Seems events are conspiring to get us ALL into thinking about what and who we really value. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with the boys.