Sunday, October 26, 2008

Boring and Unfun Milestone

(I just deleted this whole post as I was about to publish it, by accidentally selecting the whole thing and replacing it by the letter "n" -- GRRRRR, most definitely NOT boring, and certainly VERY UNFUN :-( ). 19 minutes wasted...


So, this is not really a milestone, but I thought it would be fun to record it in the blog for future reference... ;-D

You probably know that my oldest son is 6.5 years old, but to me, right now, he's sounding more like a pre-adolescent boy... Today he began to say that things are boring and "unfun" and, that certain things (such as the playground at the outlet) are "for babies." The worst part for me is to be aware that this is the beginning.

Sigh...

I have to admit that he was a bit contrary, bored, tired and hungry when I went with him, his brother and my two nephews to the local outlet stores where his uncle and aunt (who were visiting from MD for the day - YAY!) could do some shopping this afternoon/evening. In spite of that and the fact that he can be quite whiny at times, I don't recall that he had ever had this kind of attitude before, saying that the whole day (and even the evening before) had not been fun and enumerating all the things that were "unfun" or boring, and the reasons why. I was hoping to be able to enjoy my sweet boy for a few more years ;-), but maybe this is just a passing phase and not a trend that will take over his life from now on.

I guess part of it is that he is becoming much more "sophisticated," reading at beyond 2nd great level, with great expression and speed, and "wiser" in certain things. He's amazingly good with gadgets, e.g. computers, cell phones, ipods, ipod touch, and even our cordless phones, and he's obsessed with copying and printing stuff on our computer printers. He actually spent the past two weeks pestering me all the time to let him do it. I guess I need to be more proactive and simply order lots of cheap ink cartridges online (do you do that? Which generic brand do you use? I can already see the spam comments coming ;-) as well as softwares and other things that will be interesting to him.

And, a quick digression (one that should be put in the category of "Kids say the darndest things"). In July, when we were in Boston, I was telling him that he would probably enjoy the Science museum because there were lots of machines there, so he exclaimed:

"Oh mama, you know how I feel about machines!"

That's my dear geeky boy! ;-)

Well, I have to report that while writing this post (and I've totally forgotten how I'd planned to end it originally), I have already ordered this software for him and I'm sure he'll enjoy learning to type. I'll let you know how boring and unfun it's going to be ;-)

(23 more minutes to write this -- I'm geeky too, of course!)

No comments: