Thursday, October 26, 2006

Full-Time at Home Parenting: Delight or Torture?

After I expressed some negative thoughts about being home with the boys in this post, some of my blogging friends (Kate and Alice) directed me to another post on the subject written recently by Dinka. Alice even went on to write her own post on motherhood and loneliness. I was also reading Articulate Dad's September posts and came across a post in which, among other things, he touches on the same subjects -- this time from the point of view of a father, so this is definitely not something only mothers feel.

Articulate Dad wrote:
[F]ull-time parenting . . . is a great joy and a tiring burden. Those who have never served as stay-at-home parents may simply never understand. I wonder at those parents who choose this life, embrace it, revel in it, thrive even. I respect them and admire them, but I fail to fully understand them.
and
It is not that I don't delight in being a father. But it is that my hands at times feel tied, my life completely overwhelmed by duty, one which keeps me from other things I might wish to be doing.
. . . Parenting is exhausting: perhaps less so for those better equipped for its rigors, or better adjusted to its demands.
I fully agree with the "great joy and a tiring burden" of the first quote, I tried to convey a similar idea in my title with "delight or torture." As for the choosing part, some people just don't really choose it, AD, they just don't have any other options, or make a personal sacrifice for the sake of their children. As for the second quote, I feel the same about being a mother most of the time!! The language he uses describes full-time parenting so brilliantly! The tied hands, the life "life completely overwhelmed by duty," I have felt them too. This constant duty is tiresome beyond imagination, some may, as he claims, be better equipped to deal with it, but I am certainly not one of them. Some people even have enough energy, discipline, and patience to home school their kids!! I'd love to do that, but I don't think I ever could ("unschooling" like Dawn does might be possible, but I'm not disciplined enough even for that).

The problem of loneliness discussed by Dinka and Alice, may have more to do with gender and the way mothers interact (or not) with other mothers. Dinka wrote:
But all the lack of free time and sleep aside the hardest part of all this is the loneliness. I don't care what they say but motherhood lived this way is just not right. Are we really supposed to toil away by ourselves day after day (uh and night after night) with minimal contact to other people, performing the tasks over and over while we pull all the creativity and inspiration and good cheer that is necessary to raise a human out of thin air[?]
I agree. It doesn't seem right to me either -- this is one of the reasons why the work that mothers do should be more valued and, if possible, compensated accordingly, as I have already argued here before. I especially like the part about raising "a human out of thin air."

She finished with some of the same thoughts expressed by Articulate Dad, but with a twist aimed at the other mothers who apparently "have it all together" and don't seem to want to start friendships with her:
I like doing my thing as a mother. I like the kids and the house and my own schedule, but I hate being on my own all the time. It's not easy to make friends, I'm aware. More than anything one needs to be ready to open up and show some vulnerability and take a risk. It's hard to feel drawn to a person who seems to have it all and all together. We're so busy keeping up appearances but then we all go home, sit by ourselves and wonder what if.
My comment to Dinka's post included: "The only thing that has kept me sane is blogging and blog reading... I also got to meet some blogging mothers who live in the Philly area." And this is true. Blogging and reading the experience of other mothers has been more than therapeutic for me, it has been life changing and has sustained through these difficult years of having very young children at home.

Sometimes I feel literally caged at home, since it takes so much energy to go out the door with two boys under 4. It's not easy to do grocery shopping and nearly impossible to do clothes shopping, for example, with them. Even when we do get the chance to meet with friends, it's very tough to conduct a conversation, since we always have to be paying attention to what the boys are doing. I'm sure this gets better when they become older, but parenting young children is "one of the hardest thing one can ever do" as I also wrote for Dinka. And to make matters worse, mothers don't really seem to get along with other mothers. I just wish I could still link to Chez Miscarriage's post and hundreds of comments about "Mommy Drive Bys."

Is there a solution for these problems? Probably not, but at least it's good to hear from other parents and to know that we're not alone, even though we may be painfully lonely.

10 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Thanks for the post. You're right, it is good to hear of other's trials as well, to learn that we are not alone. As a father, it's often the (perhaps self-imposed) feeling that I don't belong among the groups of mothers I see at parks or where ever.

My experience with trying to get together with another parent (a mother of two boys about the same age as mine) was the sense that I was being judged and found wanting. Our second play date, in our backyard, ended in disaster, as my #1 was acting out, I was being impatient, and she apparently felt it necessary to pack up her boys abruptly and without apology, and leave. Suffice it to say, I never called her again, and wasn't surprised to not hear from her.

But that guilt remains, the self-doubt: am I just not a good father? What's the proper way to handle acting out, or willful misbehavior? Or am I simply not looking at the world with his eyes enough? Maybe it's not misbehavior but creativity, and I'm too blind to see it... and on.

Perhaps you are right as well that many parents fall into circumstance, without a choice. Perhaps "it takes a village to raise a child," but where are those villages when we need them?

Aliki2006 said...

What a great post, Lilian--so thoughtful AND thought-provoking. Yes, parenting can be very lonely--I tend to feel on the outside a lot. Because I work and my husband and I swap care of the kids, I can't seem to get my foot fully in either world, sometimes. Many days I feel like I'm not doing my professional job well enough, other days I feel like I'm not parenting well enough because I'm tired and spread too thin. I can't do playdates in the morning because I'm teaching, so I feel left out of that circle. It's tough!

Parenting *is* hard--it is lonely. Maybe not for some moms/dads but definitely for many.

Alice said...

Wonderful post, Lilian! Thank you soo much, also for the links!! I think Articulate Dad totally hits the nail on the head with parenting being a "great joy and a tiring burden" and the feeling of life being "overwhelmed by duty"!!

I'd be interested in reading more on the topic of parents (not) getting together, and when they finally do, how come they feel judged/ill at ease with each other? Do we feel so inherently inesecure about being parents that we need to judge the other to make us feel better? It's something which I just don't get, why does it have to be like this?? If you or other bloggers ever explore this topic further, be sure to let me know!!

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Thanks for this post, I really needed to read some of this stuff this week! It has been a tough week, sickness in the house, more exhaustion than usual, crap stuff going on with teaching...you've provided me with some outside affirmation that it isn't just me that suffers in these ways and I needed that.

Emily said...

There are some days when you are overwhelmed with the love you are giving them and they are giving you. When they play up, it is hard not to get climbing the walls with them. It feels like the whole world is against you.

I've only been a full-time parent for five months of Molly's life - the maternity period. I really enjoyed that part of finding our feet together. However, I was in a new area. Although born here I had moved away for more than a decade. Coming back was strange.

I found meeting mums difficult as they were already in their cliques. One day I perserved and met a lovely woman who introduced me to about 20 other lovely women. Now I have a network of very local people who are very similar in sense of humour to me (very important). As I am about to have the second baby (hopefully if it ever comes out!), I know I won't be as lonely.

Even though I work two days a week as a freelance, I still have three days a week at home with Molly on my own. I built up a routine and that has kept me sane. Mondays is play gym until lunchtime with food shopping in the afternoon. Friday is the library in the morning and ballet in the afternoon. Thursday is our free day where we get dressed late and see family.

I've always found I suffer on the downside when I am tired or ill. If Molly was teething or sick, my ability, after being up all night, to look on the bright side was diminished the next day and my energy at a minimum.

Also, it is hard as my SiL has four kids under 6 and she is such a supermum (looks after them, does EVERYTHING in the house, runs a playgym and does a degree in the evenings), that my moaning really looks petty!

Everyone has different levels of fulfilment and I think if someone needed to do a course of find some sort of work to challenge themselves, above and beyond the challenges of parenting, then good for them. I find parenting hardest to handle when others try and dictate their ideals and try to change your own.

Parenting is about survival. You do what you have to in order to get through it!

Anonymous said...

Lilibeth, a Tatiana precisa ler isso. Anda naquelas angústias de não conseguir ficar em casa o tempo todo com o rebento (sabia que há um outro vindouro?). Se bem que eu duvido que conhecer a solidão de ser mãe e dona de casa sirva de consolo ou arrefeça o desejo. A natureza é mais forte. Tudo bom por aí??

Suzanne said...

Just wanted to delurk to tell you how this post resonated with me -- I often feel caged by staying at home, too, and since I'm not the most social person in the world I've found it hard to make new friends. Blogging has helped, I've found, by creating at least a virtual support network that in a few cases has spilled over into real life (I'm a Philly area blogger, too!).

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I know what you mean about not being able to get out of the house with two little ones. Going shopping is such a challenge! I often find myself wondering how badly we really need milk. Oy. I think I need a play date just for me!

Juliet said...

I am happy to read that others share my feelings, and yet sad, because no one should have to feel them. I suggest we start an online support network for stay-at-home parents. I'm not sure, how, though. Maybe even if we all just become blogging buddies. Or e-mail friends. Something. After all, long distance support and contact is better than none at all.

Anonymous said...

Been meaning to comment for awhile (blogger and I don't always get along; I think it's my cookie settings).

This and hte first post about being home. Phwew! It's a hard one, staying home. Resonated there! I so have to get out everyday or we both get grumpy. I can't really say much more, because you said it so well. But, man, I totally resonated. Delight and Torture. (Especially since we have our own sleep issues, too)