Thursday, October 26, 2006

Central Park on a Saturday Afternoon

Cloudscome's post about her lovely day with her sons last Saturday motivated me to write about our day as well. We went to New York City for the day (we had a church meeting there) and since we were only three blocks from the Central Park, we decided to take a stroll there in the afternoon. The boys played in a playground for a little while and then I looked in the map and saw that we were close to the Conservatory Water (where people can rent remote controlled sail or motor boats to play in the water) and I remembered that it was there that they had the Alice in Wonderland and Hans Christian Andersen sculptures and I really wanted to see them again. Although we've been to New York many times since 1996, I had only seen these sculptures once, back in 96, I think, after we visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art (oh, I have to go back there again, and to the newly renovated MoMa!). Kelvin knows quite a bit about Alice in Wonderland because I have been telling him some of the episodes of the book as bedtime stories for years now and I knew he was going to be delighted by the sculpture, and he was. I took many photos, as usual, and my favorite one was of him and the Cheshire Cat:
This sculpture is, for some reason, way more fun to kids than a playground. They climb all over it and there was even a little girl who didn't want to let anyone else sit in Alice's lap. Kelvin was very nice with her and let her stay there and her mother thanked me profusely and kept saying what a nice little boy he was. (I told her that this wasn't the case all the time, but she was still thankful that he was being kind to her daughter). Linton enjoyed it too, but since he couldn't really climb it, he soon tired of it and went to see the boats with dadddy while Kelvin stayed and climbed up, down, and around for over ten minutes. Here are only two of many photos I took of him while he played:















Before leaving, we went around the water to get to the Hans Christian Andersen sculpture. This one didn't have any children climbing all over it, so it was easier to photograph. On the way there I reminded my son about the story of the Ugly Duckling since it's portrayed in the sculpture too.
P.S. I have started to write a series of posts about parenting difficulties. I'm going to try to post them even if they're not as "deep" as I wish they could be, or else I'll never finish writing them.

3 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Great pictures! It looks like you all had a wonderful day. I haven't been to NYC in ages... we should go there someday and hang out at the park.

Aliki2006 said...

Looks like a fabulous outing--and beautiful pictures, too.

Jody said...

Wow, what great photos.

I didn't even know those statues were in the park! But I've only been to Central Park what? Four times? Five?

Not enough, anyway.

Glad you had such a good day.