Thursday, April 20, 2006

Crash (updated)

I watched Crash last night. Wow, I don't know how to express my feelings and reaction. First, it's very very sad, and I don't like sad movies even though I think they are necessary, if you know what I mean. Life has a lot of sadness. And the Academy seems to really like sad movies (for me Crash was sadder than last year's Million Dollar Baby, though - let me confess that I missed the last fight scene, again because the baby was crying, and since it was on TV and not DVD, I couldn't replay it - and neither did I want to).

I really liked the way Crash showed how racism is so insidious in every ethnic group - this issue is not really discussed, it's a taboo in our politically correct society - in this sense I think this movie is truly important. I felt that the ethnicity that was "spared" the most criticism was the Hispanics - my husband and I were talking after we watched it, and he said that that everyone has a good and a bad side in this movie, but I found two exceptions - the hispanic locksmith (he did react explosively once, I concede, but that was it) and the hispanic housekeeper. (I did miss some very short portions of the film because my son was coughing and woke up a couple of times, and I tried to watch them again after, but correct me if I'm wrong). The hispanic police woman "racially attacks" the Chinese one in the very beginning, so I guess not all Hispanics are portrayed in a completely positive light.

Of course the movie has a lot of characters and a very unique way to tell their stories which didn't allow for extremely deep or rounded psychological portrayals of each character, but we did get the basics - these are complex people, with issues going on both in their personal and professional lives.

I was angry several times, so angry I could barely stay seated... The Black couple stopped by the police, the Persian guy beying attacked as a jihadist. And I could barely watch the little girl's scene (Isnt' life so much scarier after we become parents? I found out that filmakers and TV movie writers know really well how to get to us parents and do that very often and skillfully - not to say "appellatively") . There were many many unexpected twists, but I don't want to give the plot away, so I won't say anything about these.

I didn't watch the other Oscar contenders, but I'm really happy that this movie was chosen as best film. It also absolutely deserved best editing and screenplay -- in my humble and very uninformed opinion :)

Well, I'd love to know what anyone else thought of it!!

P.S. I still need to write something about Bride & Prejudice that I watched last weekend. Thanks Chicagomama and Libby for the suggestion!

Edited to add: I wanted to address the issue that my "blogging buddy" Juliet brought up in her comment, which is right on. I didn't feel like doing a full review in the post, so I didn't write about every ethnicity represented, but Asians are definitely under-represented and I agree with the idea that the Chinese characters' "humanity" is not really highlighted - only as regarding physical suffering, I suppose - they are not two dimensional characters either. Thanks for your comment, Juliet. I think you shouldn't see it, it will upset you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And let me tell you..I do not know why people were so like "please, The Brokeback Mountain MUST win". Crash was much better. The Brokeback might scare and freeze non open minded people, but really, if this film was about a man and a woman...nothing special at all.

Anonymous said...

Bride and Prejudice... chuckle... omigod... Attila and I watched it months ago... and we STILL run around singing... "There's no life without wife!" Any time we squabble... I start singing that sosng and he can't stay mad. Works every time.

Juliet said...

I've heard good and bad things about the film. The main criticism I have heard is that Asians are still portrayed unfairly and two-dimentionally, as is the case a lot in Hollywood. I heard that the humanity of everyone EXCEPT the Asian characters was shown. I don't know. I'm very sensitive, so I'm not sure if I should see it.

Anonymous said...

I loved bride & prejudice!! The concept translated very well, and the actress who played the elizabeth role was fantastic.

Saw crash too. I had to run out of the room when I thought the little girl was going to be shot by the persian guy. I thought I was going to throw up. Great film.