Wednesday, March 29, 2006

They're Coming!

My father- and mother-in-law had no trouble getting their work visa this morning in the American Consulate in Brazil. We haven't talked to them yet (they should be flying back home now), but one of my husband's aunts got in touch with us via internet to tell us the good news. I'm really happy for them because this opportunity was exactly what they were hoping for, but never even dared to dream about. We should see them in May when we go to Massachusetts, we'll be with both our mothers for Mother's Day, something that happened only once before, in 1996.

My husband will be with them tomorrow, since he's flying to Brazil tonight. It's been crazy around here with the preparations for his trip, and he hasn't packed his suitcase yet, in spite of the fact that his flight is in a couple of hours. I deeply loathe the days that precede a trip, we can never plan ahead, there are always last minute things to take care of.

He's going to do the concurso or competition to get a teaching job at a public university in Brazil, and, as some of you may recall, if he passes, we've decided to go back. That's so scary!! I mean, it's been 10 years in this country and I guess no matter how ofter we have been back it'll still be a great shock to go back there to live. I try focus of the positive aspects of such a return: the great friends we and our sons have there, the possibility or building our own house in the future (this won't be possible right away because we're kind of broke right now, and it saddens us to go back in this situation), living close to my parents, and many other things. My in-laws will be here in the U.S., though, my husbands parents and two of his brothers. My two nephews (one to be born in June) - the only ones I have, my sons' only cousins...

Oh well, it's no use thinking about it this way before it happens. I'll keep you posted!

Meanwhile, it's getting warmer and I'm delighted that Spring's finally here. I may post some more pictures soon. We may even go to D.C. this weekend to see the Cherry Blossoms, since the peak is supposed to be tomorrow and they'd still be beautiful on the weekend. I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oi Lilian,
I'm going to be in DC this weekend for the Cherry Blossoms too. We are in CT so it will be a bit of a drive, but I am totally looking forward to the long relaxing drive (while baby sleeps in the back seat) and the opportunity to take tons of pictures for my blog. Have fun!

Juliet said...

DC is beautiful this time of year! I know you have a lot on your mind now, but try and enjoy your trip as much as possible. Try forgetting your worries temporarily.

L said...

Thanks for your kind words Juliet. I'm generally able to enjoy myself when we travel, sometimes I actually think I should "enjoy" less and work more on the dissertation :)

I may sound worried, but I'm generally the kind of person who fully enjoys life , particularly the little things such as flowers, my children's smiles, hugs and kisses, etc - that is those things that really matter :)