Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Suspenseful News

Wow.
My brother, who is a forest engineer, has been looking for a new job since he defended his master's thesis last November just talked to me online (through Skype) and told me he has two job offers. One we already knew about - it's in the state of Espirito Santo (above Rio de Janeiro) in Brazil and the other...
is in China!! I'm dumbfounded. I haven't told my parents yet, they're blissfully ignorant downstairs, but as soon as I post this, I'll let them know. My mom will be totally shocked, I'm sure.

He has to respond to the first job offer (in Brazil) until 5 pm tomorrow (which is 3 pm here), that's why he got in touch with the people in China who will also officially offer him a job until then. My SIL is coming from the city of Sao Paulo where she's been working lately (they live 2 hours from the capital) so they can talk it over tonight, and they want to discuss with us as well which would be the best decision. I think they're considering going to China!!!


But wait, there's more! I was waiting to share this here (I don't know exactly why), but now is a good moment: my father and mother-in-law have been invited to come and work here in the U.S. (in the Boston area) -- this is still quite unbelievable to the whole family. Only one of my husband's brothers is in Brazil right now, the other two live here in the U.S. already, one in Texas and the other in Maryland, so this is ideal for the family. We're waiting for their visa interview, which will be next week on the 29th, I guess that's why I hadn't written about this before, I was waiting for it to be a certainty.

Now... this makes it much harder for us to decide to go back to Brasil doesn't it? More on all this later, OK?

Edited to Add: My mom started crying immediately. She can't even bear to think of the idea of having the two of children far away. Right now my brother lives ony 1 1/2 hours from her.

P.S. I have already uploaded 7 flower pictures, but I want to include 2 more before I publish the "Spring" post. (this was at 4 pm)
Editted to add: I uploaded the flower post at 7:30, but kept it with the 2 pm time so it would be below this one. Check it out!)

2 comments:

Alice said...

oh wow, you have some exciting things happening in your family! my dh is off to China as well, but only for a business trip for a week(long enough for me) :( Well, let us know what happens & what kind of decision your brother makes, and whether your parents (father?) gets the visa!!!

Juliet said...

Wow! Lots of exciting news for your family, huh? I've heard wonderful things about China, but then your brother would be so far away from the rest of the family. Well, I hope that all of you can make a decision that will be best for your family. It is a lot to think about, I know.