Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Busy (busy?)/ Taking long to get a Ph.D.

Well, just to keep this blog going...

We're a bit busy because we're going to Massachusetts this weekend for my husband's commencement (he finished his Ph.D. last year).

I'm also dealing right now with memos and such to get my "statute of limitations" renewed. Yes, I have been taking longer than what's "allowed" (6 years) to finish my Ph.D. Considering other people in my department, which this year received SEVENTEEN requests to renew statutes of limitation, I'm almost OK --this is only the second time I request an extension, which means I've been working on my degree for 7 years now, the next year will be my 8th. However, I've had a baby 3 years ago, and another one last year... This is the case with a few of my colleagues who have requesting extension this year, but for most, it's not the case.

Anyway, that aside, I've actually been "busy" (?) reading other blogs. I hate to admit that it becomes completely addictive to do so... And slightly frustrating when having my own blog doesn't get me anywhere, just makes me waste time reading other blogs.

The problem is, it seems my dept. wants to clean up its act this year and try to get as many of us to graduate as soon as possible. I kind of like the pressure, but this makes me have to work and feel terribly guilty of spending all this useless, albeit fascinating, time online.

2 comments:

kate said...

Hmm, I know what you mean about getting lost in blog reading. And I didn't know there was a "statute of limitations" on getting the Ph.D. Good luck finishing!
Kate

L said...

Sorry Kate I took so long to comment back. I was reading blogs as a change :)
Anyway, yes, I guess most universities try not to have its Ph.D. students go on forever. Oh well, maybe I'll write about this someday, but at this point looking back, I don't really care for a Ph.D. I wouldn't have done it again.

Blame it all on "invisible adjunct" and her links (the first blog I've ever read). I'll post about it...
right now...

Lilian