Sunday, May 12, 2013

I Should Be in Grading Jail

And yet, I spent hours today basically wasting time online (after all, I needed to pay homage to my mom by posting a photo of the two of us in facebook as tons of my Brazilian friends are doing). I can't believe I'm being so irresponsible.

Last week I actually had a very valid excuse! I had to finish a photo book (using shutterfly) for my son's teacher whose retirement party will be next weekend. I finally finished it on Friday afternoon and asked for 1 day shipping which will cost as much as the book itself. :( The school is either paying for the book in full or helping me pay for it and I wanted it to get here on time, so I went for it even though I think it's really way too much money (29 dollars!).

So, here's what I need to grade:

- 30 final exams, 8 pages each (I had written 30, no way!)
- oral exams (listen to recordings and email comment to each of my 30 students... sigh).
- 16 critical papers
- 16 final course paper (a "reflective thinking" paper on what they learned).

I will try to update what I did at the end of the day just to see if it helps to try to be accountable on the blog.

Wish me luck.

P.S. Last Thursday I was actually told by colleagues I went to have lunch with at U#2 that for Spanish they are actually expected to turn in the final grades 48 hours after the final (which would have been on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, for me). Good thing nobody's actually checking what I'm doing right now. And I hope that next year the new hire won't either.

No comments: