Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Week of Firsts, Part II (Stephen Sondheim!!!)

I discovered years and years ago... 23 years, to be more precise, that Stephen Sondheim was a brilliant musician* (I blogged about my favorite song EVER, "Send in the Clowns" here), but it took me all these years to finally see one of his musicals, isn't that crazy?

Nah... not really. I couldn't really afford it earlier, so I'm at peace with it, why regret something I cannot change? I just hope that now that I've seen my first, others will follow. Perhaps even on Broadway someday. A girl's gotta dream, right? ;)

It was this musical and it was an amazing production!! The best part of it is that I knew two of the songs really well ("Pretty Women" and "Not While I'm Around"), but I had no idea of the context in which their appeared -- AWESOME! And I didn't know the details of the plot, so I was surprised and moved at the end.

OK, I can't stop gushing about this, so I will just close with a clip of when Sondheim was interviewed by Stephen Colbert. Don't miss the "Send in the Clows" conclusion:
Fun, huh?

*He's both a lyricist and composer and in his best works he does both.

No comments: