Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Beans, Clothing Retail, Weather: Some Random Observations

I suspect that comparably few people buy and cook dry beans (and lentils) in this country nowadays, am I right? Years ago you could find lots of different brands of them in the supermarket, today, I found only two at Giant, both Hispanic brands, Goya and MiCasa. Can one even get beans on wholesale stores? I don't know about Costco, but BJ's only has canned beans. Target has almost become a supermarket, but it doesn't sell dry beans either. I generally buy them at Aldi (my favorite store!) and Wal Mart, -- 'cause you may remember that I don't shop at regular grocery stores at all, today was an exception because I was looking for some hard to find items* and didn't find them there either -- but I haven't had time to go to Aldi &or WM yet (or both, they're next to each other) .

January and February come, the coldest months of the year, and I never cease to be amazed when I get into stores and see all the spring clothes for sale. What is this? Extreme positive thinking? (probably more like trying to maximize sales). I don't understand winter clothes for sale in August either. Whatever, that's the way things work here in the U.S. (sigh). At some places, such as Target, the first thing I see as I walk in the door is actually swimwear! (the image was borrowed from here, actually from April last year at that store). I feel very bizarre and, at the same time, thankful that I can buy winter clothes for a fraction of the price on the clearance racks.

Last, but not least, I just wanted to point out that the boys and I loved the 66 F (19 C) weather yesterday! It rained most of the day, but then the sun came out in the late afternoon and I let the boys ride their bikes outside (Linton got the back of his shirt all wet and muddy and had to change, but that's part of the fun ;-) . Today it's back to being cold and wintery. We are looking forward to a snowfall or two before it's all over, though, since we missed the December record blizzard.

Well, that's it for now, I've been busy with the cyber-schooling as usual. Oh, and with some much needed cleaning in this house, thanks to K's help! More about that some other time.


* If you must know what I was looking for: (1) a rust remover for a rug and one of the boys t-shirts. Unfortunately the only one the grocery store sells is SUPER toxic POISON stuff! and can only be used in white fabric. Any hints on how to remove rust from fabrics? I'll google it soon ;-). The second thing seems not to be sold anymore :-( Drew's Smoked Tomato dressing... It took me too long (like 6 months) to need to buy it again and now Drew's doesn't seem to carry it anymore. HA! The product's site still lists it, so I guess it's just that Giant is selling less varieties of it. BOO! I'll just have to keep looking or try to buy it online. Do you think that someday we'll be buying all of our groceries online?

5 comments:

Anjali said...

We buy dry beans all the time -- and the only place I can get the kind I want is Whole Foods.

Oonie said...

The ShopRite near me has a great selection of dried beans. But they also have an amazing Hispanic foods section so they are probably skewed to the Goya side too. Honestly, I had no idea there was a difference--aren't dried beans dried beans? Clearly I don't cook with them much! I think that's also where I found the red lentils I keep not making.
And the early spring clothes are a pet peeve of mine too. When I ran in to Target on Christmas Eve for a last thing, they were putting up the Valentines. Boo.

Lilian said...

See, one shouldn't have to go all the way to Whole Foods for the dry beans one wants, right Anjali?

And O, ShopRite does have an AWESOME Hispanic food section, too bad they're a full seven miles from me, almost in Plymouth Meeting. I NEVER go that way (I mean, only driving to and from the turnpike on the way to or from long trips, mostly). Oh, and I always buy the cheapest dried beans (usually not the Goya brand, the store brand. Giant didn't have a store brand, even, though!).

Now, are you kidding me, Valentines on Christmas Eve??? Well, I never got to blog it, but last year I saw Chrismas decorations at Dollar Tree in early August. That was over the top, I thought.

jo(e) said...

I still buy dried beans and lentils. But yeah, the local grocery store doesn't offer many options.

Lilian said...

I was pretty sure you did, Jo(e), we vegetarians need to cook lots of beans, don't we?