Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Vacation in Florida?

I can hardly believe it, but it looks like we're going to have a vacation after all! I'm excited, but also a bit scared, since we really cannot afford to spend much. The plane tickets for me and the boys are award travel from our miles and my husband had a voucher that he needed to use before September and which covered half the price of his airfare. That's why we are going in the first place.

We have many Brazilian friends who moved from Massachusetts to Florida in the past two years and we have been looking forward to visiting them for a long time. We wanted to go only for 10 days, but ended up having to book a ticket for two whole weeks because those were the only dates available for award travel. Since we just can't stay at our friends' house for two whole weeks, we're thinking of spending the first week in Orlando, a place that I thought we were going to visit only when the boys were much older to enjoy it fully and when we had more money to spend on vacations.

I have been there twice, first in June 1993 with my husband (then boyfriend, almost fiancee) and his family when we visited almost every theme park, and in June 1997 with my mom and dad (we only went to three parks). Every time I went I always had a very critical evaluation of those places, particularly the Di*sney ones (I don't really like Dis*ney). My sons only know who Mickey is because they have a pair of (Brazilian) flip-flops with his picture in them. Those were a gift, since I avoid buying clothes, shoes, and toys with any characters on them, though I have to concede that I made an exception for Elmo (one T-shirt), andThomas (a T-shirt and underwear - an attempt to suceed at potty training). We also own and some Sesame Street toys and Thomas trains.

I really enjoyed our visits to Sea Wo*rld but I feel really torn about those beautiful animals and their captivity. I don't think they can be "happy," no matter how large those tanks for the whales and dolphins may be. Because of the shows, I fell they are a bit like Circus animals, though perhaps better treated... I don't know. As for the other parks, I always see them as a huge stores pressing all kinds of useless stuff on the tourists with a few fun and even informational rides or pavillions here and there. Of course we never buy anything, but just paying the absurdly expensive admission price makes me feel guilty of wasting money.

Oh, well... we can always just enjoy our hotel and go sightseeing leisurely at other places as well as visit friends (we also have a few friends who live close to Orlando), we do deserve a vacation after all. There's a small catch, though - hubby says that I need to have mostly finished the first draft of the dissertation, so I have to stop blogging right now and go back to work!! :)

One last thing - I just hope there's no hurricane while we're there!!

4 comments:

Alice said...

oh, lovely! I'm sure you'll have a good time there (hopefully without hurricanes). I have mixed feelings about theme parks myself. I used to love Disneyland when I was a kid. But now I grew out of it and I think it's just too stressful. I'd never go there with my 2 kids as long as they are still this young (I think it would totally overwhelm them, I was totally overwhelmed at 13! ) But one day I know we will probably take them there. So I haven't been to any theme park in Florida yet ... what I totally enjoyed was the Kennedy Space Center, though. We also took a drive down to Key West, which was awesome .. and the Everglades must be enormously interesting! Oh and the beaches, of course, we used to hang out at Ft. Lauderdale beach, which is perfect for a family with kids (Isabella was 1 yr old then and just loved it) ! :)

Now I feel like visiting Florida again (we have family there and a visit is overdue anyway ...) ;)

Juliet said...

I hope you have a nice time in Florida. I am sure it will be wonderful seeing your friends!

I don't care for Disney. It's all about selling stuff for them. And it seems to me that all of their movies are derivative of something else.

As for Sea World, yeah, I agree with you about the capivity. In the other hand, how great will it be for your kids to see these animals up close! It's a tough moral dilemma there, huh?

Anonymous said...

I never been to FL. A friend of mine is coming next week to visit and we are going to Grrand Canyon and other places..She lives in FL. I've been to Disney in CA, it's really cool.
Have a nice trip! Kids will love it.

Aliki2006 said...

Ooohhh...sounds like a lovely vacation! I've only been to Florida once, and to the Keys, not to Orlando or Sea World, etc. I feel as you do about the capitivity issues, but you could make even that a teaching moment for the kids and it would be exciting for them...

Get working on that draft!