Thursday, September 10, 2009

Belated Breastfeeding Awareness Month Post

August was Breastfeeding Awareness Month, but I was not able to scan the picture I wanted to post on time, so here it is (further below :-).

During the past school year, Kelvin and his classmates had to write a sentence (or more, if desired) completing a prompt I'd written on the board and make an accompanying drawing. I saved all of Kelvin's pages and will put them together in a book/folder. This is what he wrote and drew when the prompt was "Dear Mother, When I was little...":

The picture portrays both of us sitting at the glider rocker and it reminded me of how important and significant our nursing relationship was for the boys and I.We often talk about it and both boys still remember nursing. 

In the past 2 years -- since Linton was weaned -- I seldom, if ever, wrote about breastfeeding in the blog anymore, but that doesn't mean that I'm a less ardent "lactivist"! I hope that someday I can find a way to work with expectant mothers and mothers of young babies because I am really passionate about them, particularly giving breastfeeding support. I don't plan on becoming a lactation consultant, so I wonder what I could do... Time will tell, I guess.

2 comments:

Oonie said...

If you move back closer to Delaware County, you'd be awesome as a Nursing Mothers Network helpline volunteer! If you are interested please let me know. I loved doing it and am still a huge fan.

Choco Pie said...

Kelvin's letter is so incredibly sweet!! What a treasure that is.