Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Good to Know I'm not Alone

Thanks to all of you who commented in my last post. I was especially happy to see that other people face the same struggles. This is a sore subject for me, I must confess, and the fact that nobody was the least confrontational, even when disagreeing with me was nice and reassuring.

I wanted to refer you to the latest post by Dawn who addressed the same subject, but from another angle, that of a stocky child, not a skinny one. It's sad when parents inadvertently make us suffer, particularly when they had the same problems and then pass them onto us.

And, just for curiosity, I'd like to add a few details about my experience. Besides being skinny (I'm always a few pounds under 100) I'm also short (around 5' 3 or a bit less), so it's hard to find pants that are not too long. I found out a few years ago that the pants (especially jeans and corduroy pants -- I LOVE those in the winter and I have them in many colors) that fit me the best are the ones for girls in size 14. 16 is just too long and sometimes too big in the waist.

The hardest thing to buy are bras. After the two pregnancies, my rib cage expanded, so I'm between 34-36. A or even AA is huge for me. And, besides, what's absolutely infuriating is that an A or AA cup in 34 or 36 is always way bigger than 32. I just don't get that!! So, the solution is again buying girl's bras (I prefer those with underwire, I know it's not the healthiest thing, but it makes things look a tiny bit better). Problem is... the plastic things that hold the straps together in these girl bras are flimsy and break easily! That's upsetting. My other SIL (not the one who blogs, the one who's famous for her party decoration abilities ;-) insists that I should try finding something in the many drawers at V. Secret stores, but the prices and the profound dislike of the store prevents me from even trying.

I used to buy bras in Brazil and they fit me OK, but now there's been an "inflation" of bra sizes even in Brazil and they're all huge now. Sigh. Not to mention that there are several types of blouses (particularly tight fitting ones or ones with a V cut -- I HATE V cuts!) that I just can't wear. That blouse from the pictures in the previous post is one that was a gift from a friend and it's an unflattering pattern for me.

I think I had other things to share, but I guess this is enough for now. Thanks again. It feels really good to know that I'm not alone.

2 comments:

Anjali said...

I wait for their big annual sales, and stock up at Victoria's Secret. You should really give it a chance. I hate underwire and I find that most bras for small sizes are underwire AND heavily padded because they assume you want to look bigger. I don't. I just want something comfortable. So I buy Body by Victoria bras with no underwire and no push-up padding. And I love how they look and feel.

I'm 5'5" and 100 pounds. The only stores I can shop in for clothes are Gap/Banana Republic or Ann Taylor Loft. I've never been able to fit in clothing from regular department stores.

Oonie said...

Having, ahem, the opposite issue with undergarments, I too was going to suggest VS. They really tailor themselves for the Bs and under, ironically.
Also, there used to be someone who called herself The Bra Lady up sort of not too far from where I think you are now. If you want more info, let me know. She stocked zillions of them in a garage-turned-store at her home.