Sunday, December 21, 2008

Quick Update on my Grandma -- The TIme is Coming

My parents traveled South from the Sao Paulo countryside to Curitiba last Thursday and they have been with my grandma a few times. They and my other two aunts are trying to help the younger aunt who has been caring for grandma 24/7 for many intensive weeks (not to mention many many years).

My mom emailed me earlier today and said that grandma is clinging to life, but she is probably going this time. The sentence that stood out in that email was their realization that that "spark" in her eye is gone. Now that she's off the antibiotics she's more lucid, but she is extremely weak.

I just talked to mom and dad on the phone and they said that they will probably call with bad news soon. They talked to her doctor today after he visited her at home and he explained that her blood pressure is quite low and that there could be hope only if it went back up. She is no longer eating and is on a diet of liquids.

The most important thing is that they've been able to keep her home. My parents asked for us to pray that she may go painlessly.

I'm so sad... I'm just crying now. How special it was that the last time we were together we talked about breastfeeding and I nursed Linton for one of the last times before we weaned...

I'll let you know when she goes. Thanks in advance for your support and sympathy.

4 comments:

diber said...

(hugs)

My grandma is one step behind. It makes me sad, since we are really close. Feeling sympathy for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Lilian, que Deus traga paz para tua vo.

beijos

Gabriella

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry, Lilian!

A full life led, time to rest. My prayers are with your family.

Libby said...

my thoughts are with you, Lilian. It will be a bittersweet holiday season for you and your family.