Sunday, December 07, 2008

Amiga Inglesa/ English Friend

I want to register here that I just received the most wonderful and encouraging comment that I have received in a really long time!

Thanks, anonymous amiga inglesa (English [female] friend), you made my day! Comments like these and the friendships that I make reading other people's blogs are what make the whole "blogging enterprise" worth while. That is one of the reasons why I don't ever want to quit blogging. For some lucky few like dooce, blogging brings food to their tables and an income to live on, for others, like me, it brings the emotional, social, and even intellectual support that I need and crave in order to keep on living my sometimes complex and crazy little life.

Thanks for the kind words about my writing, amiga, and, mainly, thanks for reminding me that there are people around the world interested in Brazil!! This alone is extremely encouraging! I am aware of the departments of Brazilian studies in the U.K. and I have thought of trying to apply there or find out whether I could get a job there. In fact, it was a British translator who first brought Clarice Lispector to the world's attention and Bloomsbury and its editor Liz Calder have also published several recent books of Brazilian literature in English translation, so I know that there is significant interest in Brazil and Brazilian literature in the U.K. (not so much so here in the U.S. :-( ).

I don't know if I've blogged about this or not, but I collect children's books from Brazil too! Actually, children's literature is one of my passions, one of the reasons why I might do well in librarianship too. I'd love to be able to talk more to you about the Brazilian children's books that you have and appreciate. I wasn't aware of the immigrant Brazilian children in the U.K. and the demand for books that will appeal to their interests. Fascinating subject. There's a Brazilian immigrant writer who lives in the New York City area and who has written a few books aimed at Brazilian immigrant children here in the U.S., particularly this one. It might be useful for Brazilian kids in the U.K. too!

Well, I have to go back to work in my "in the outer fringes of academia" job now. But I do so with a smile, knowing that someone in the other side of the pond reads my words and can be so kind as to send me a lengthy and encouraging comment. Thank you so much amiga!!

P.S. And many congratulations, amiga, on learning Portuguese from scratch, as you say! Awesome!

P.P.S. You may not have noticed, but I deleted the words "useless PhD" from my blog banner. I hope that the more positive attitude may help my outlook and approach to life.

2 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

I wondered about the "useless Ph.D part"!

Renata said...

Could you please provide a list of some favorite children's literature? I missed out on this growing up and I really want my children to enjoy them. It doesn't have to be translated in to English, but I'd love to have a resource list of books that reflect my heritage so I can pass it on to my children.