Wednesday, July 30, 2008

On Being Back

We've been back since late on Saturday night (K decided not to take his flight back here and drive with us, I was so relieved!) and although I've found time yesterday and today to catch up with most of my blogging friends, I have been postponing blogging for no good reason. Or maybe I do have many many reasons...

We're still overwhelmed with the messy house. Things have improved considerably as far as the renovations go, but the mess in the living and dining room is still pretty much the same as the previous post pictures show. The kitchen cabinets need to be fully sanded before we can put things back in them, and K just finished that tonight (Tuesday night since it's past midnight).

And on Thursday we'll have guests coming from Brazil to stay over the weekend. We love having guests, particularly this dear friend from high school that I haven't seen in ten whole years. And this is the year/period we've had more guests from Brazil in a period of only a few months. Too bad the timing has been just so catastrophic!! In April we had three friends coming, exactly when I was finishing up the dissertation and getting ready for defense, and now we have these friends coming this weekend, and more friends coming at the last weekend in August -- a veritable record! I'm not worried about the last weekend, I'm actually thrilled that my best friends' mom will get to visit us for the first time and we'll have a really nice house to show her (and my friend's husband, who is, how shall we say it, picky?). I'm a bit concerned about this weekend. I know these friends won't mind at all anything that is going on, they're just lovely and accommodating, but still, I love to have a clean and organized (as far as I can get it) house.

And you wouldn't guess in a million years what our dear Brazilian friends from church have decided to do this very weekend -- organize the wedding of two of our friends at a beach!!! And I'm in charge of helping with the music and the organization of the ceremony (I was also going to help prepare a beautiful table with fruit, but now other people will take care of that). It will be just like that show on TLC ([digression, bear with me] they don't have it anymore, I'm totally out of it, and everything else in TV and pop culture -- except for Project Runway, I got curious about it after Lisa V mentioned it in her blog and I got to watch the first and second episodes of the new season in the hotel, I really liked it! I wanted to have written a whole post about it, but a parenthetical remark will do), anyway, like that show on TLC in which a couple's friends organized their whole wedding with a budget of 1,000 or so. The only difference is that the bride will pick her own dress (as well as the outfits of the groom and their children, who will be the flower girl and ring bearer).

So... lots of things. As usual, very adventurous life that we lead. And I have yet to tell you about some minor changes that are coming up, etc.

I owe you pictures of the Boston trip, and, of course, of the renovations. Hopefully I can get some of those out of the way before the guests arrive on Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed, for me and for you. ;-)

OK, just one peak because I just can't help it:
I don't know how I can still feel fairly calm about the prospects of putting this house on the market. I think what my friend Articulate Dad says is very true -- things are not the most important thing in life. Very true. I write that, but suddenly I'm misty eyed and I have this hard knot in my stomach. I will survive, though, I know. You have no idea, though, how beautiful it's becoming, no idea...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have fun with your friends! And what beautiful tile work, though I know it's bitter sweet...

kate said...

I'm just getting back, myself... It sounds like you will be busy! I am sorry about the house, though I guess the experience of redoing it will serve you for when you do get a house that will stay yours-- then you will know what you want to do with it and what is involved. Not that that makes it any easier. Bummer.