Saturday, August 20, 2016

On not being there

I just wanted to register here that the memorial service for my father-in-law just took place in Brazil a few hours ago and I am sad because I could not be there.

I hope I can soon talk to my husband, but he just texted me just how to say that that it was really, really hard. :-(

I have this bad feeling that I haven't been able to have much closure following his death because I didn't experience most of it with my husband, his brothers and mother. It's sad that two of the daughters in law couldn't be part of the events of the fateful week and neither one of us four could go to Brazil to be with them now. Sigh...

There's nothing we can do. And there is some likelihood that I may not be with my husband or children when one of my parents dies -- I hope not, but it's not impossible! :-( It's all part of the hardships of being immigrants in another country.  Our own choice.

3 comments:

Lilian Nascimento said...

Li I'm so sorry!!! May God continue blessing all of your family! You are in our prayers...with love, Lilian.

What Now? said...

Such a hard time for you and your family. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this was not easy. Maybe you (and we) can get more closure when we take the ashes up to Maceio. And isn't someone supposed to be sharing a video of the service?