Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Chaos in Brasil! :-(

"What's gone wrong?" is the link bait in the BBC's website for today's article "Brazil corruption: Is the government in crisis?"* Lots has been going wrong in my country, for several years now. :-(

Sunday night I opened my facebook account and was inundated, overwhelmed by photos and video of friends and family, including my brother, his wife and two young children, all dressed in green and yellow, on the streets, protesting. Millions of people took to the streets. They want the president (Dilma Rousseff) to be impeached and tried for huge corruption scandals and last Friday, former president Lula (José Inácio Lula da Silva) was questioned by the police about this involvement with the same corruption scandal.

Well, today, Lula was nominated as Dilma's chief of staff, ostensibly so he can get away from the indictment that a judge in my home state of Paraná is trying to bring against him. People are disgusted and upset and are taking to social media again to voice their discontent. Again my FB feed is inundated with tearful eyes with the country's colors, and other signs of outrage.

Sigh...

I hope that justice will be done, I hope corruption will be curtailed, but it's very hard because Brazilians (in general) are used to "easy" and not always legal and legitimate ways of getting what they want. It's hard to have hope. We'll see what will happen.

* nerdy comment: didn't know capitalization in British English was like in Brazilian Portuguese materials.

1 comment:

What Now? said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this. (And also I appreciate learning this, since I hadn't heard anything about it.)