Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Freelancing, a BIG FIRST!

I can hardly believe it, but I just finished a translation job (two letters for a law firm) and sent them an invoice!! An invoice!! Me!! Wow.

This happened thanks to a wonderful friend, our Brazilian realtor, who referred me to them.

I feel a bit foolish for not having tried to work with this before, given that I have lots and lots of experience (I worked for my graduate institution's translation non-profit company for many years). So, yeah, maybe I should pursue it, in spite of the fact that I'd rather do research and teach, but the first one doesn't pay at all and the second pays rather poorly. That whole deal with "not wanting to change a thing" is tough when I realize that my "career" choices never focused on money at all (I hate money, after all, right?). OK, but earning it does feel good, I must say!

2 comments:

Anjali said...

Way to go, Lilian!

Aliki2006 said...

Good job! Freelancing can be really lucrative--good for you for giving it a whirl!