Friday, September 14, 2007

Moving In

When you're driving in a big highway have you ever seen those open trucks full of stuff like mattresses, furniture, home items in the back, all tied up with a rope in the most unprofessional and undignified manner, and then you felt bad for those poor people who can't hire a proper moving van?

Well, yesterday evening that person was me... I mean, not exactly me because my friend was driving his truck and I the minivan (equally packed), but still, I felt so undignified for having to go through that!! So, if you were in the Blue route yesterday and you saw a white truck with a baby mattress sticking up the back and with one of those bicycle kiddie trailers, a red tricycle, mattress pads, and other assorted stuff that was us :(

[I may edit to add a photo of the truck and stuff here later]

Just a quick update on how things are going because I have to leave the hotel room pretty soon so I can be at the house for the radon guy to do his thing. Yep, our new house failed the radon test big time and now they're working on remediation.

- After the closing on Wednesday we were able to get two friends to come and help us clean the house. Another couple came with their baby daughter to bring us all dinner -- how lovely is that?

- Yesterday I was there to get the boxes delivered, but I only had the key to the padlock of ONE of the five boxes. Good thing it was the very last box, with some high use items, so I started emptying it out right away.

- After picking Kelvin up at school (and dealing with the fallout of the day's problems -- see previous post) I drove to our old neighborhood where I met a friend of ours who had a big truck so I could pick up our sand & water table and a tricycle from out neighbor's house (I saw the new owner and she said she ADORES the house) and luckily I sold our lawnmower (electric) to another neighbor and didn't have to haul it away uselessly (we'll have to buy one of those tractors or hire people to do our lawn). Then we went to my Brazilian friend's house to empty her basement of all the junk there -- in the way I've already described in the opening of the post.

- Another friend and the friend who drove his truck helped us bring the refrigerator into the house -- YAY!!! Now I can bring all my food from the hotel straight home and put it in the fridge. And I can go buy ice-cream again!!! YAY! Better have more of that before summer's over, right?

BAD NEWS: I'll be offline until TUESDAY when the internet will be installed in our new home and I'm totally upset about that. Hubby is happy, though 'cause he says I'll be able to concentrate in the work at hand. And I have sheepishly recognize that he's probably right... :(

So, now I'm off to be a full time mover. Good thing we'll rest for 24h (we keep the Sabbath starting tonight at sunset) and we can gather some energy to work really hard -- and "with a little help from my friends" (hahaha, this reference is really not very fitting, but I don't care! ;) -- on Saturday night and Sunday.

See you Tuesday then, OK? I'll miss reading your blogs, that's for sure :(

3 comments:

Vera said...

Have a good move !

Alice said...

Ahh... you moved!!! I'm soo sorry for having disappeared but I promise I'll check in every now and then!!! :)

Anonymous said...

But I think it's affordable to rent van, you just better book out a van or truck several weeks in advance. Then it will be cheaper. Wait until the last minute and you might discover they don’t have any trucks available, and if they do, they might not be available during the time you had hoped to make the move.