Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Reacting

I DO read several other blogs, you know... I just haven't figured out a way to list/link to them in my Blog with this template - ignorant that I am in HTML. So today I did get to read a few things that I wanted to react to.

Lots of people are writing about this New York Times writer's take on mothering and career (David Brooks:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/15/opinion/15brooks.html)

One of the reactions has a direct connection to my experience with mothering and graduate school:

"First, he gives that lame lipservice to "rather than her spouse", but in the context of the whole piece, you know he doesn't really mean it that men could/should take this option. Second, you don't have to take 10 years off to have 2 kids, and if you did, you wouldn't then need to "select a flexible graduate program specifically for parents." As it happens, graduate programs are quite flexible as it is (at least compared to 9-5 jobs), and we don't need to create "mommy track" grad programs. "
(http://thurgood.blogspot.com - Sat. Jan 15, 2005)

Yes, exactly... like I've said before, the flexibility of being a grad student and a teaching assistant allowed me to have my first son and still work for 2 more years (of course it also helped that my husband was also a grad student with a flexible schedule).

I hope to be able to post more on these issues later...

No comments: