Thursday, October 09, 2014

That Gluten-Free Experiment?

I don't know if you remember that I did a really short week-long experiment of going gluten-free and I need to report back that it didn't really work (and please don't tell me that I needed to have gone at least a month, blah-blah-blah, I already know!) .

The thing is: I'm quite sure I don't have a gluten intolerance.

(OTOH I am not sure I'm not lactose intolerant, but I don't really want to know at this point, sorry, no! ;-)

So, yeah... that's that, I don't think I have a lot to say about this (which is a pretty rare thing for me!), except two things:

1) It wasn't very hard because I already eat lots of gluten-free meals and I'm not dependent on bread or cereal at all.

2) Large amounts of pasta or white bread (rich in soluble fiber* and poor in insoluble fiber) are excellent for my IBS, so why quit them for no reason?

Note: I still eat lots of veggies and whole grain foods, I just try to balance them with foods rich in soluble-fibers. I love lentils, for example, but coupled with tomatoes, they are my worst enemy. ;-) I still eat them once in a while, if possible, but with tons of rice!

* This very link -- that I found years and years ago (OK, back in 2006 or 7, not that long ago) when I was discussing with my husband about eating fruits & veggies together, and googled "soluble/insoluble fiber" -- is what led me to my highly accurate self-diagnosis of IBS. (the diagnosis was confirmed by a doctor after I had a colonoscopy)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Good for you to experiment! I tried a similar experiment years ago, and concluded that gluten was not a problem for me, but that at the time, I had been eating too many grains (even whole) in proportion to fruits and vegetables. Life got better after I got that figured out. :)