Tuesday, February 04, 2014

I don't know...

... really, I don't.

I don't know why I'm not blogging lately. Sure, I am very busy, but much less busy than last semester (4 meeting hours less and two days not driving 152 miles make a huge difference!)...

I have made it a point to come and say here that life's good...

I've been blogging for 10 years, but that doesn't mean anything, does it? I mean, I've made many friends, I found a voice and I wrote lots. The blog was vital in helping me cope with life with two small children, and, most importantly, it provided the friends that I so needed as a very lonely expatriate person.

It was incredible to get to meet so many of these friends that I made through the blog and I'm still looking forward to meeting more (e.g. Jamie -- it looks like we'll be going close to you in August, my friend!).

But now that we've finally "settled" (gah! I still feel "stuck" instead of settled at times), very slowly, I seem to be making more friends. It's so hard and rare to find kindred spirits, but a year ago we began to find more of them and although we're still not spending much (if any) time together with these new friends, it feels as if maybe we're at the cusp of something new, a new experience (particularly as it concerns "church" or our faith community).

In addition to the busy-ness of work, this year there are other things that are already demanding attention: a friend's doctoral recital (I'm helping her with the reception); friends getting married in July and whose wedding shower I'm helping to organize; pregnant friends and showers to look forward to and, tentatively, a trip in August to take the boys to an event many miles away.

And then, of course, there's the "getting old(er)" part that I often don't think about. Sometimes I have this fleeting impression that all this "over-sharing" that I crave and which motivates me to blog may be a bit "immature" and that maybe I should get over it.

I don't think I'll ever quit, but I never thought, in a million years, that I would ever feel this lukewarm towards blogging.

In the world of (horrid, but addictive) facebook & superficial twitter (and über superficial Pinterest), it seems that blogging is getting outdated. Personal blogging at least.

What do you think? Why do you still do it? Why did you drift away?

No, I'm not quitting, but I do hope I get my blogging mojo back!

P.S. I have thought about blogging about really frivolous subjects & I probably will, now that I have addressed more serious topics... I just didn't want to write those posts without some reflection on how I'm feeling.

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I often blog to work out my feelings in a space where I can have some interaction. Given that blogging and our blogosphere has become more diffuse, interaction is less, which motivates me to write less.

Also, I feel like I blog more when I am stressed or feeling insecure (more to work out), so I guess my decrease in blogging is kind of a good sign?

Sorry that you feel stuck. :(

Heidi said...

I think we all blog for different reasons. I enjoy blogging because it's a way to be artistic with words. I do like the connecting and sharing part, too, though. Even if it takes you some time, I think it's worth really evaluating, every so often, why you (we) blog, and where it fits in our lives. It's OK for blogging to grow and change with our lives. (I've been wanting to comment on this post for a while, but it took me some time to figure out how to say what I was thinking!)