Thursday, October 31, 2013

Six Years Ago

This evening I finally took some time to talk to my husband (even though I'm blogging in the middle of the talking while he's reading about the Red Sox on my phone ;-) and he just remembered something very significant.

We were wondering why we couldn't remember at all the Red Sox's World Series victory back in 2007. Especially since we had watched all games in 2004 when they had incredibly beaten the Yankees after being down 3 games to none (by 19/9 in the third game at Fenway no less!).

Well... it turns out our life was crazy-busy in October 2007 when we had just moved into an old falling-apart fixer-upper house, just before our life as we knew it "ended" on October 31st, 2007. (and just days before that my dad had had an accident in which he hit a drunk man who later died)

I hardly ever think about that day six years ago. I'm glad I sounded so "together" in that post and I'm even gladder that K kept the job for several more months (so I was able to finish the dissertation and earn my PhD in relative calm) and that things only unraveled in March 2009. Sigh...

In any case, K turned to me half an hour ago and said "It was six years ago today that Big Pharma laid me off, no wonder we don't have any recollection of Red Sox's victory earlier that week!"

So I went looking for my diary, but couldn't find it, then turned to the blog and found no mention of baseball, obviously. We were also thinking that we probably didn't have cable either. Sigh.

Six years. A lot has happened in the past six years and thankfully time has healed most of the grief that threatened our lives back in 2007 and then 2009! It's fascinating to look back and realize that things did turn out just fine in the end. Nothing like hindsight, right?

No comments: