Thursday, April 18, 2013

Car Fever (and it's unintended consequences... hello composting!? :)

The fever has abated already... last night and even more this morning, but we were on the brink of doing something we had promised ourselves we would NEVER! EVER! do again: buy a new car.*

Do I hear a sigh of relief from those of you who agree with that resolution?
:-)

K spent his every waking hour in the past week or two researching cars and alternatives (we were debating between two Hondas: the Fit or the Civic). Then, a few days ago he wanted to know more about the battery of the Prius, so he googled something about and found Mr. Money Moustache (MMM). So... besides learning all about the Prius and myths about owning one, he began to learn from MMM about a more frugal (if extreme in this guy's case) lifestyle.

He was up until 1 am reading MMM last night! (I'm always extremely amused when K gets into a blog, it's something so natural for me, but new to him) He doesn't necessarily like MMM's forceful style and he doesn't think we need to be as extreme as him, but he likes what he has to say.

I can hardly believe that I woke up to find a husband who has finally, finally!!! seen the usefulness (and economic advantages) of having a vegetable garden and (yes!!) composting.

You have no idea, NO IDEA how long I've been trying to convince him to take an interest in gardening (flower or vegetable). So I'm very thankful for this random blogger from Colorado for hopefully changing the life of our family for the better! :) You bet I'll be blogging more about this in the near future.

I know that K is not really "into" plants (he claims that the problem is that he grew up living in cramped apartments with his three brothers, so he doesn't have a "green thumb" like I do), but if he can see the advantages of doing it, he can at least help me. I hope he does and we can make progress in this aspect of our lives!

P.S. If K cannot help me with gardening I might as well not do it. Not only do I need physical help with getting beds installed, but I need all kinds of support because my ADHD makes it hard for me to consistently (and persistently) take care of a vegetable garden. That's why I've mostly only concentrated on flowers until now.

* We bought a new (dark green) Honda Civic back in 1999. I'm sure it was good for our credit, but we later realized it hadn't been a smart decision and that we'd tossed several thousand dollars basically in the trash just for the comfort and convenience of having a new car. We sold it for less than half what we paid for it only four years later.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Really?! Gardening and composting? Three cheers!!!