Friday, May 19, 2006

My Son and My (future) Doctorate

K (my 4 year old): “Mama, did you buy a doctorate?”

Lilian: (smiling) “No, sweetie, I’m going to earn one after I defend my dissertation, after I finish writing my dissertation.”

K: “But mama, when is all that going to end?”

L: (serious) “Next year.” (knock on wood)

K: “And then you’ll sell the computer, right?

L: (I look at him with a “What do you mean?” look in my face)

K: “Then I’ll be able to play at the other computer all the time.”


A minute later when I came to the computer type up this conversation:

K: “Why do you always have to be at the computer?”

Then he went downstairs to have a snack before bed and after checking a blog or two I went down, sat by him and answered:

L: “So I can finish the dissertation.”

K: “Why can’t you do this faster?” was his reply.

Me: (deep sigh)

3 comments:

Alice said...

hehe .. still, it's really cute! ;) I think one day you will re-read this conversation and smile (because you've gotten it all behind you!)

Juliet said...

Cute. Frustrating for you, I know, but cute. I agree with Alice.
By the way, sorry it took me a few days to reply. Our computer has been evil lately. Time for a new one, I think.

ArticulateDad said...

Adorable. Fortunately, we have two computers, my laptop DI and a desktop. When the Painter was about two we got him his first interactive educational computer games. I realized that children want to emulate their parents. They see me at the computer all the time, so it seems the proper thing to do with their time. It's amazing what little mirrors can do for our self-realization. I make sure to let them catch me working in the garden, and cooking, reading books, and smiling (a lot!).