Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Alone

But not for long...

Hubby's in Chicago, staying overnight after a cancelled flight to Brasil (he flies tomorrow morning), and parents probably already flying for a few hours, due to arrive tomorrow at noon.

I'm glad their trips coincided so I'd be only 18 hours alone. On the other hand, I was kind of looking forward to spending some days with my sister-in-law (I was planning to go to my brother and SIL's house for a few days if I had to be home alone with the boys). The good thing about having my husband travel is that I feel happier that my parents are coming. It's not that I don't enjoy them coming, I do, it's just that of course it's not the same thing as just the 4 of us... but the fact that it's just me and the kids will probably make for a good transition this time (it's not just an abrupt disruption of our cozy family life). Besides, we do need them desperately right now. We can't keep up with the house and the kids (things are chaotic around here) and I really, really need to work on my dissertation.

That's the hard part. I have to work no matter what. I hope I find the strength within and without (oh, yes, there's plenty of strength without - I'm sure I'll get tons of pressure from parents and hubby)... and the wish, the desire to finish is very strong within me, it's just hard to start writing. Besides the fact that I love to do all the research, but hate the writing itself, there are so many other variables in dissertation writing! There's the advisor to deal with, and the other people in the committee... those can be more stumbling blocks than any help. Let's see how it'll be.

No comments: