Thursday, December 28, 2006

Quick Conference Update

For those of you who may be wondering, my presentation last night went quite well. The section was really late, from 8:45-10 p.m. so I was really tired this morning, and we had to get there 8:30 for the first section. My youngest sister-in-law is going with me, she is finishing her master's degree in English and enjoying her first MLA (she also blogs here). The other panelists were great, a woman from Iran, doing a very relevant critical analysis of Reading Lolita in Tehran (if you're interested I can summarize what she said later), and an Indian woman analyzing a story about an Indian woman who immigrates to the U.S. Oh, yeah, I can email you my topic if you want, but I try not to write about my academic work openly on the blog.

Today I was able to talk to a scholar in my area and ask him some questions after his presentation, and then, I had the great pleasure of meeting Laura (Geeky Mom) in person, we had great conversations about our dissertations and the job search, among other things. It was really nice to meet you, Laura!! I know you don't like the MLA that much, but I hope you had fun there tonight! We're hoping to see each other again on the bloggers' panel on Saturday morning, if we muster the courage of getting up early.

Well... my job interview is tomorrow morning, so I'm going to bed right now. I'll post tomorrow again, and I'm hoping it's a happy post like this one.

Edited to add:
P.S. And just to cheer me up for the job interview tomorrow, as a Sound of Music lover I have to now "publicly" sing to myself: "I have confidence in sunshine, I have confidence in rain, I have confidence the sun will shine again... besides, which you see, I have confidence in me!!!" If I don't, who will have?

5 comments:

Libby said...

good luck, Lilian!!!

ArticulateDad said...

Good luck, my friend. Most of all, be yourself... and enjoy!

Alice said...

how exciting this all is!!! I'm sure you'll do great at the interview! Good luck!!!!!!!

Juliet said...

I am so behind checking blogs! Sorry!

Some topics of great interest to me were discussed. Wish I could have been there! I'd be out of place, though. LOL

I am anxious to know how your interview went!

Lauren D. McKinney said...

Hope everything went well, Lilian.